Why aren't Schnauzers anymore introduced for ratting purposes?

Why aren't Schnauzers anymore introduced for ratting purposes? I had a Schnauzer in the past and her instincts were really intense, my mother had a book about Schnauzers and in their history, they were used for ratting purposes in Germany, but now when I see ratting videos in Youtube, I see other Terriers but not Schnauzers.

So far I know, it exist miniature Schnauzer, medium and giant Schnauzers and the medium-sized Schnauzer was used for ratting.

• Like 1

Because like a lot of breeds,pet owners push prices up so that the ordinary person on here won't take a gamble on one,

i looked at the medium as a busher/ratter type couple years ago wasn't paying the asking prices

instead I took a gamble on a £295 labradoodle pup which didn't work out.

though to be fair the pet schnauzers I've met here‭‭ a lot would people would think are firey where as they are just gassy like a terrier.

• Like 1

It's really sad that in name of a great trade or business purposes as well fashion, an entire tradition vanishes out, I currently watched prices for Schnauzers and in fact, they are very expensive, 1000-1300 EUR.

• Like 1
On 02/12/2017 at 08:53, forest of dean redneck said:

Because like a lot of breeds,pet owners push prices up so that the ordinary person on here won't take a gamble on one,

i looked at the medium as a busher/ratter type couple years ago wasn't paying the asking prices

instead I took a gamble on a £295 labradoodle pup which didn't work out.

though to be fair the pet schnauzers I've met here‭‭ a lot would people would think are firey where as they are just gassy like a terrier.

What job did you have in mind for the labradoodle?

Like most breeds that are owned & bred out of purpose where instincts were really intense once,the sad truth is that's not wanted in a lapdog/non hunting pet  ,they breed away from that & there lies the problem .Within a short period an entire breed temperament vanishes.

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...
On 03/12/2017 at 14:56, Mickey Finn said:

As a boy, I had a Standard Schnauzer. I've literally never seen another sense then. Miniatures as lap dogs, are fairly common. There is the odd Giant around. But these tend to be too much dog for most people. Shame the cops don't use them.

Hello,

Yes, Giant Schnauzers are even used in the military, they are even used in the special operations, here let me show you. Sorry for the late reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hEmnJLuzhg&t=6s&ab_channel=Military.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEAH6tjpX_g&ab_channel=USC-SOG

While German Shepard are also common in the branch, specially in the police or the SWAT , but Giant Schnauzers they pay more off in the military. 

Edited by Ainz
  • Like 2