A Couple Of Hours In The Rain.

Jonjon79

I dropped little 'un and her mate off to school yesterday morning as it was my day off - I did this earlier in the week and found out that, because of road resurfacing works, it takes feckin ages to get home :rolleyes:

Thankfully, her school is half a mile along country lanes from my big manor house permission :thumbs:

..... So, I put my kit in the boot.

It was already raining when I got there but, a walk in the woods was better than sitting in traffic :yes:

I took the .22 FN12 - it's a brilliant little, lightweight hunter for those woods, made even better with the new Hawke Vantage on it.

I like to walk through these woods, stopping and looking for movement.

The squirrels were being little buggers - they seemed to know every angle on the branches where I couldn't get a shot :rolleyes:

I finally managed to track one through a couple of trees - he was in a right playful mood and wouldn't stay still. I had to keep taking my eye off the scope to find him again.

Eventually, he ran down a trunk in front of me and started foraging on the ground.

I don't think he knew I was there - he was so close that I had to turn the parallax down.

...... With a little hold hunder, a heavy hit from a .22 JSB Exact saw him fold on the spot.

That was the first one to christen my new game bag :thumbs:

I carried on for a bit, letting a couple more give me the slip while we played cat-and-mouse.

On the way back, I spotted a pigeon high up on a branch - I'm usually shit at seeing them until they fly off :rolleyes:

It was sat kind of side on, with it's back to me. A shot through the upper neck made it drop like a stone :thumbs:

When I got home, the dogs went nuts, sniffing at my bag while I hung up my wet kit and oiled the Falcon.

I was looking forward to a proper woodland pitta but, the squirrel turned out tough as old boots so, I cut that in half for the dogs - they loved it.

I still had my pitta, with pigeon breast and squirrel liver in barbeque sauce, with lettuce and red onion - very nice it was to :good:

post-102688-0-94175800-1505592943_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-26189200-1505592956_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-44383200-1505592969_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

the only good thing to come out of roadworks Jon :thumbs:

that new bag of yours is gonna get some use when autumn kicks in, that woods ace!

not shot a woody for ages, but I'm gonna tomorrow :yes:

that pitta looks lovely!

top shooting

atb si

Cheers Si :thumbs:

The oak leaves are already on the turn - it's a perfect match for my DPM smock at the moment :laugh:

I really should get some feeders and a hide set up in there - I didn't see big numbers but, I did see them all through the woods.

Good luck on the pigeons mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

the only good thing to come out of roadworks Jon :thumbs:

that new bag of yours is gonna get some use when autumn kicks in, that woods ace!

not shot a woody for ages, but I'm gonna tomorrow :yes:

that pitta looks lovely!

top shooting

atb si

Cheers Si :thumbs:

The oak leaves are already on the turn - it's a perfect match for my DPM smock at the moment :laugh:

I really should get some feeders and a hide set up in there - I didn't see big numbers but, I did see them all through the woods.

Good luck on the pigeons mate :thumbs:

feeders a good plan jon...

one in the middle of the top wood and one in the lower, it'll pull them all in :hunter:

been to that job again today, no pigeons but a rabbit within two mins of getting there!!

it was in the crock pot simmering/ taunting me by 10am, the smell kept wafting over!

I was bloody starving by dinner time

just looked at your pitta dinner again!! I'm having a chinky tonight :yes:

atb si

• Like 1