Scabbed And Bleeding Paws And Between Toes.

Any ideas what this might be. The owner has been to the vets and treated the dog for mange,straw mites, changed the bedding from straw to bedsheets, used steroids,antibiotics,advocate twice, ecomectin, camrosa ointment ,alamycin and changed diet from a mixture of dognuts,brown bread,meat, tripe and table scraps to medicated nuts for dogs with skin conditions and then back to raw only all with no avail. The condition flairs up worse occasionally and travels up the legs into belly chest and tail but is constant in the feet. The back and head are reasonably clear and coat is good and shiny but if you went to hand strip the dog the skin would tear off with the hair and bleed.

post-70358-0-77058000-1494100384_thumb.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Living the good life, two hiding out of the sun, no contact with anything but water

Try neat benzyl benzoate ... rub it in to badly infected areas and allow to dry naturally Available online with instructions . Th.

It looks like my terrier at his worst, it'll be a secondary infection in the skin, mine could hardly walk. Try the cefalexin, it made a big difference. He bled from the smallest knock or bang, even

Posted Images

This started in old kennels 2 year ago and then brand new block and concrete kennels were built 18 months ago so I don't think it's an allergy to the surroundings. The bitch sleeps in a half blue plastic barrel with bedsheets for bedding. She's 8 year old now and had this condition about 2 years. The vets don't seem too pushed on finding out what it is they just say skin condition and give the usual short term treatment and take their money. Straw mites was there original diagnosis but the bitch hasn't been on straw in 18 months.

Edited by jiggy

Good call with the benzoate I use it myself. Any chance of taking plastic barrel out might be a allergic reaction to the plastic by the looks you have tried everything else good luck

i didn't think dogs could be allergic to plastic but it's worth a try
  • Like 1

I've got one just the same, I gave him a course of cefalexin 250 mg twice a day on advice from the vet. I bath him in tea tree wash once a week and together they've sorted it out. He was tender on his feet, he stopped walking out and looked uncomfortable on them before I spotted it.

He never showed any signs before this nasty indecent, he's still not 100 % but he's happy on his feet again and the furs all but grown back.

I personally put it down to the nitrogen the farmer had used on his grass behind my house. I don't know if I'm right, I'm just clutching at straws because I can't understand why it happened.

The vet thought it was demodectic mange, he said the reason they get it on their feet is because they're in contact with their mother constantly while they're suckling. The bitch gives it to the pup, I wasn't having any of it, this bitch is now 12 years old and she's never had it or passed it to any other pup she's had. I knew her dam, her grand dam and her great grand dam, I never knew of any one of them having it or passing it on.

Like I said, I'm clutching at straws, it would be great to put a label on it.

I've got one just the same, I gave him a course of cefalexin 250 mg twice a day on advice from the vet. I bath him in tea tree wash once a week and together they've sorted it out. He was tender on his feet, he stopped walking out and looked uncomfortable on them before I spotted it.

He never showed any signs before this nasty indecent, he's still not 100 % but he's happy on his feet again and the furs all but grown back.

thats interesting because she is uncomfortable on the feet and was a very fast bushing dog and now would plod along behind owner and then make a burst if she got scent and then back behind owner again. She's a big terrier wheaten x patterdale type 45 or 50 pound weight and up on the leg and only suitable for bushing really and would normally cover a lot of ground. Pity really as she doesn't have the usual wheaten dog slayer attitude and is great with other dogs Edited by jiggy

My dog had scabs around the eyebrows and nose. I tried 2 different types of anti-biotics with no change, scrubbed it with hibi scrub every day for 2 weeks, still no change. I was desperate, never affected the dog but looked dreadful. Took advice from a lad on here and scrubbed it with tcp for a week and it cleared. I'm not sure which one worked but there was no sign of change until I used the last resort.

• Like 1

thats interesting because she is uncomfortable on the feet and was a very fast bushing dog and now would plod along behind owner and then make a burst if she got scent and then back behind owner again. She's a big terrier wheaten x patterdale type 45 or 50 pound weight and up on the leg and only suitable for bushing really and would normally cover a lot of ground. Pity really as she doesn't have the usual wheaten dog slayer attitude and is great with other dogs

It looks like my terrier at his worst, it'll be a secondary infection in the skin, mine could hardly walk.

Try the cefalexin, it made a big difference.

He bled from the smallest knock or bang, even cleaning him up would have his skin broken and bleeding. I still don't know what caused it or cured it, I'm just glad it's settling down.

• Like 2

That sounds identical to my dog Dilly. If you touch or squeezed the area it would bleed. I got a number of different diagnosis' from ring worm to demodectic mange to a fungal infection? I'm not sure what it was but I was glad to see the back of it.

• Like 1

thats interesting because she is uncomfortable on the feet and was a very fast bushing dog and now would plod along behind owner and then make a burst if she got scent and then back behind owner again. She's a big terrier wheaten x patterdale type 45 or 50 pound weight and up on the leg and only suitable for bushing really and would normally cover a lot of ground. Pity really as she doesn't have the usual wheaten dog slayer attitude and is great with other dogs
It looks like my terrier at his worst, it'll be a secondary infection in the skin, mine could hardly walk.

Try the cefalexin, it made a big difference.

He bled from the smallest knock or bang, even cleaning him up would have his skin broken and bleeding. I still don't know what caused it or cured it, I'm just glad it's settling down.

I will order some cefalexin thanks how many days is the course? Will any tea tree wash do or is there a type for dogs? I only ever seen it in human shampoo.? Edited by jiggy

He was on it for five days, the vet said to use the whole box up but he'd of been on it for a couple of weeks at that rate. Once the infection was gone he was a different dog, the tea tree stuff was just a normal shampoo, nothing special.

I gave him a week on piriton too just incase it was an allergic reaction, like I said "clutching at straws"

• Like 1