hi all first post so be kind lol
anyway i was wondering i fancied doing a bit of rabbit snaring just to get a few for the pot iv got a really decent permission, more rabbits here than anywhere else iv seen locally.
iv set 12 snares theyve been set for 3 days and nights now the first day i set a lot over the burrows then i read thats not the best way so i pulled those and put them all on runs(rabbit trails) and fences.
i check them every morning and plenty have been knocked off the tealers about 10 in total in 3 days but no catches

does anyone know what im doing wrong? i think they might be too low? i bought the snares but made the tealers so could it be that? the loop is about a fist and the height is almost a fist???
any pointers would be cracking ta.

Theres a 100 questions we could ask you how high your setting them etc but as micky say a picture would help then theres the dvd and Glen Watters book all worth a look

What snares you using? Shop ones with green twine?

A big hoop,find the small beat on a run set 7-71/2inches high,but this depends on terrain you are setting on...but basically 7-71/2 is ok on shortish grass any where up to 10" on long grass....as Micky says put a pic up,so folks can give you pointers ?

Fence snare set

E92D8230-5506-492C-BB0C-9D66621D575D_zps

Mr Tea Pot havent you got a photo of a wire set on a open run for the feller .No good me explaining to the guy as i cant catch them either !it will be the blind leading the blind :cry:

I have somewhere,I'll have a look later

• Like 1

cheers for all advice and help, i checked this morn and same again 4 fell off the tealers. by time i got down there it was dark so ill take some pics tomorrow. made some tealers the same but 2.5 inches longer so if i have no look with them ill have to buy some. let you know if i get owt.
got a squirrel today (not in snare)
i was wondering iv seen that squirrel snare poles are legal but the rules of snaring are to use the snare as a restraint not a killing method?
how does this make sense or is it just one of the many stupid laws we have.

cheers for all advice and help, i checked this morn and same again 4 fell off the tealers. by time i got down there it was dark so ill take some pics tomorrow. made some tealers the same but 2.5 inches longer so if i have no look with them ill have to buy some. let you know if i get owt.

got a squirrel today (not in snare)

i was wondering iv seen that squirrel snare poles are legal but the rules of snaring are to use the snare as a restraint not a killing method?

how does this make sense or is it just one of the many stupid laws we have.

The snare pole for squirrels is very effective .Glenn put me on the the right track with it :notworthy: . .The wire you use is is the most important part of the set up and the height at which you set the wires .I started to use brass wire to start with but found that i had some chew outs with this .Then i had some stainless wire sent to me this did the trick :thumbs: As for it being used as a restraint then i cannot find any info that says this about snaring squirrels it simply would not work in such a way you would loose more than you would catch :yes: .Mind you in Scotland this may well be the case .