A Few Red Deer Photos

I wasn't on line yesterday but remembered this thread and can't believe I said Pikers !!!!

I was thinking of spiker and meant to say "Prickets" the correct name.

Think there's something FISH'Y about you Neil.

• Like 1

Agreed mate ,switches are culls

But these aren't switches are they?

They are just yearling red stags, you'd be making a big mistake culling them on the basis that they are a switch.

Also they aren't prickets. A pricket is a Fallow buck in it's first head.

Yearling stags are staggies, spikers, whatever, they ain't prickets.

I read that back and it sounded a bit snarkey.

Didn't mean to come across like that.

Also it's being a bit pedantic, people will know what you mean if you say red pricket, but it's like someone saying "Fallow stag" or "Red does."

And it probably depends on where in the country you are, some local terms are different,

Like Krotties or fewmets.

Edited by Hydropotesinermis

Certainly yearlings but in the field these are the stags I would have no hesitation in culling. As a stalker, depending on the herd size of course in relation to a specific land parcel, having a good idea of the sex ratio males to females......I would be actively looking to harvest these spikers.

I've often heard them called Pricketts when referring to red deer but the term over all refers to animals in their 2nd year.

I call them Dinner,lol,actually have some in the slow cooker as i type.

• Like 2

Certainly yearlings but in the field these are the stags I would have no hesitation in culling. As a stalker, depending on the herd size of course in relation to a specific land parcel, having a good idea of the sex ratio males to females......I would be actively looking to harvest these spikers.

Yeah my point was if you were culling them as switches or poor mature stags because they might blind another stag in the rut you'd be mistaken.

They are really good yearlings, if you were managing for antler you would consider leaving them.

To be quite frank I am being obtuse, in real kife i'd flatten the lot, you spend too much time f***ing about with wild deer and you miss opportunities.