Not Making Grade

I suppose it's semantics .

And the fact that gameness is a phrase that's been used for GAME dogs and birds for millennia.

When even some winning game dogs may not be game ,to them I suppose calling a lurcher game is at odds with their ideals.

But I suppose,if you are running a few rabbits ,why the need to call a dog game ,as surely gameness will never come into it?

I like your grasp of english language roybo lol. I agree with your comments, but the word 'game' isn't restricted to fighting dogs and birds. There are many instances where 'gameness' comes into the equation. I think socks touched on a point about greyhounds being game, and I agree with that., Not all greyhounds, same as not all bulldogs, but it takes guts, drive, determination, 'gameness', for a greyhound to continue to chase the hare on track when it's broken/fractured a bone in it's leg for example, until the end of the race. I know that their only running for a short while, but it must still be painful running at those speeds with a broken toe, hock, pulled ligament etc.

And I suppose the same could be said for alot of coursing dogs etc. But I agree, I don't think you need a game dog for running a few rabbits.

again it's semantics ,some would call that prey drive , but I'll leave that to an animal behaviourist, call it game ,call it what ever ,I just trying to explain the reason there's so much confusion on terms used :D matters nought .
  • Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i must admit,I put my heart and soul into my workers,and when they fail miserably I have no issues in putting them to sleep.I just cant walk out and feed ,clean ,and exercise a dog day in day out know

I reckon there's a few dogs that would refuse to work certain things if taken out of there comfort zone. Seen loads of dogs back down from a good fallow or good winter fox. Even seen some dogs jack be

nonsence! You can't put in what ain't there...

I suppose it's semantics .

And the fact that gameness is a phrase that's been used for GAME dogs and birds for millennia.

When even some winning game dogs may not be game ,to them I suppose calling a lurcher game is at odds with their ideals.

But I suppose,if you are running a few rabbits ,why the need to call a dog game ,as surely gameness will never come into it?

I like your grasp of english language roybo lol. I agree with your comments, but the word 'game' isn't restricted to fighting dogs and birds. There are many instances where 'gameness' comes into the equation. I think socks touched on a point about greyhounds being game, and I agree with that., Not all greyhounds, same as not all bulldogs, but it takes guts, drive, determination, 'gameness', for a greyhound to continue to chase the hare on track when it's broken/fractured a bone in it's leg for example, until the end of the race. I know that their only running for a short while, but it must still be painful running at those speeds with a broken toe, hock, pulled ligament etc.

And I suppose the same could be said for alot of coursing dogs etc. But I agree, I don't think you need a game dog for running a few rabbits.

again it's semantics ,some would call that prey drive , but I'll leave that to an animal behaviourist, call it game ,call it what ever ,I just trying to explain the reason there's so much confusion on terms used :D matters nought .

Lol :thumbs:

I think we need definition of the word game again lol. It generally means different things to different people.

I've got a whippet bull first cross dog here which is most definitely game ?

I've heard 10 week old pups described as "game" when they probably mean full of beans a bit of a live wire.

But in the context of pitbulls I doubt there are many lurchers that would be "game"

It depends what the "grade" is...I know lads who will always bring out the best in a dog...maybe not interested in one quarry but excels at another...

And I know others who seem to do nothing but buy dogs, swap and sell dogs...every new one is a legend, every old one a wanker...

Not a truer word spoken! Know a few fools like this around my way.