Well my 4 pigs have gone to the Abbatoir earlier today looking forward to getting them back. What I'm thinking is I wanna get some more in the summer. The land that I kept them on is a piece of old woodland now my question is they have turned the land over like a tractor ( before it was bracken, brambles and weeds 6ft high) my question is is there a type of veg that I could plant on it and leave it so when I put my next weaners in they have plenty of fooder in the ground. Thanks in advance

Any of the suede family is used as fodder for stock so turnips, beet etc. should make good feeding.

I've always told myself I'd love to fatten some pigs in an orchard. That IMO would make super tasting pork.

Nice one by the way on the four pigs for slaughter. You'll need a big freezer, or plenty of friends, LOL.

Any of the suede family is used as fodder for stock so turnips, beet etc. should make good feeding.

I've always told myself I'd love to fatten some pigs in an orchard. That IMO would make super tasting pork.

Nice one by the way on the four pigs for slaughter. You'll need a big freezer, or plenty of friends, LOL.

thats what I was thinking with a mix of Apple n pear trees
  • Like 1

I planted Jerusalem artichokes in last year's pig field. It isn't so much that they grow quickly, as much as they spread out. So you get a good yield and the pigs will have to furrow them out.

This years pigs weren't fond of the few swedes I gave them. They knocked them around like toys and only bit occasionally. I think turnips may get similar treatment.

I'm lucky in respect I have a 6 acre orchard with plums, apples and pears, the pigs love them and it really makes them taste superb.

I have tried artichokes, swedes, turnips, all sorts, they seem to be not so interested in it and prefer brambles and general rubbish !

I know but if I was to plant Apple trees they take a Few year to be big enough so the Pigs didn't up

Root them. Can you plant sugar beet or turnips in the winter like this time of year

My source of apples have been friends, neighbours and people at work. Like most fruit and veg, people can't cope with a glut.

Pigs aren't choosy, so you can really take advantage.

With a veg patch, you can keep changing what is planted but a fruit tree is pretty permanent. The early fruit stages aren't really enough but a more mature tree, well that is a lot of apples.

I would keep fruit trees either away from the pigs, or well protected. It will be a substantial tree that can withstand a pigs attentions. My pigs would dig two foot deep holes. That is bad news for a young tree.

thats what I was thinking with a mix of Apple n pear trees
feeding them on fermenting fruit, end up with bluttered pig roast
  • Like 1

Best pork I ever tasted was from some people up the lane, who finished their 2 pigs off in Eileen's orchard.

Ever since, we donate our surplus apples to a coupla locals who keep pigs.

Sadly we don't live near our fruit trees, and Ma-in-law doesn't like frozen pork, but it's good to know that someone, somewhere, will be having that perfect pig flavour.

(One day I'll actually be living the dream....)

• Like 1