Sign in to follow this  
Ashy Ashcroft

Long Net Poles

Just bought a long net and was wondering where is the best place to buy long net poles, I was just gonna go up the golf course and take the flags haha but thort I will see if they cheap enough to buy first, thanks in advance ashy!

Cut yourself some hazel until some fibreglass ones turn up, I cut some off cuts of oak flooring down to make mine

• Like 2

Magnum trap company mine werent cheap but they will last forever

If it's a traditional net then cut some yourself, make em nice as you'll be workin with them a lot if it's for you, I cut loads and after very careful inspection pick my faves haha my lad an wife laugh at me. If your making it into a quickset and gonna use a basket, then get the fibreglass poles and grommets as anything else is just trampy mate

• Like 5

Broom stick handles cut into 3 and notch the end, if you have access to a lathe turn down notch end 2 mm down an inch then cut some 22mm copper in inch pieces and sleeve on,to add strength they will last years,but they heavy OK if working out back of truck.

Easy net with basket and glass poles is the way foward IMO

Atb

• Like 1

Some nice straight hazel whips.

Once they dry out they are very light and very strong.

And cost nothing.

That's what I use for purse net pegs.and gives the kids something to do cutting and putting a point on them.

Broom stick handles cut into 3 and notch the end, if you have access to a lathe turn down notch end 2 mm down an inch then cut some 22mm copper in inch pieces and sleeve on,to add strength they will last years,but they heavy OK if working out back of truck.

Atb

A broom handle isn't long enough to cut into 3 longnet poles is far to thick and far to heavy ... if you've got a 50 meter net with the poles set at 5 meters how big has the fukcing basket got to be to hold all those brush handles ... daftest idea I've heard for a long time ......

• Like 6

Atb

A broom handle isn't long enough to cut into 3 longnet poles is far to thick and far to heavy ... if you've got a 50 meter net with the poles set at 5 meters how big has the fukcing basket got to be to hold all those brush handles ... daftest idea I've heard for a long time ......

Lol I can't seem to edit my posts but more for your old type longnet with steel pins and separate poles copper collar on bottom drill hole 3 mm cut head off 6 inch nail knock in hole copper stops broomstick from splitting. Will post a picture we use them on 100yard nets

So if it's for a traditional longnet why not just cut hazel sticks instead of spending money on brush handles ... you must have one hell of a bag to carry enough poles for a 100 yard longnet ........

• Like 2

I make mine as thick as my thumb, i like em that bit stronger as some places i go is rock hard, id never honestly dream of using brush poles tho as they too big and heavy for me, and it would look shite haha

I heard scaffolding poles are ok.

A bit heavy but very strong.

They definately won't blow over in the wind lol

• Like 7