Council Pest Control

I work for local council and its funny you should be giving them a bad rep etc etc..I imagine some individuals working for their local authorities etc etc on peanuts wages are inclined to not give a s..t...But that's down to the individual... Not me.. I go the extra mile every time for any and every customer.

I get to loads of jobs where private pesties have been and see the exact same things you describe and lots worse..some of the idiots I have followed have left evidence of piss poor shoddy workmanship with no regard for the customer or the outcome of the treatment. . .and charged them silly money in the process. .The business is riddled with cowboys.

we average 12-14 jobs every day, sometimes more and we do the lot inc moles and birds etc etc..

I think we do a really good job and no one could compete with our prices,especially for rodents etc etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck doing 17 jobs in a day   Feck,..working 8 hours ,....   I've a short attention span,....two jobs a day leaves my head spinning,...and an eight hour day, belongs to the Victorian era.

In respect to councils doing sewer baiting that is still the responsibility of the local water authority and the council I work for recieves a report I think every quarter with regard what areas are b

First job today a young girl on her own seen a mouse - council say the waiting list is till February for a call out.   Next job, mice in a cupboard- council come twice and feed mice a small tray of

There's a lot of shonky goings on now, my Mrs was at a job today, turns out her customer is a pesty of eight months, his bait of choice on farms is storm! What feckin hope has the industry got? Thankfully I've not got that long to go before I bail.

Have I missed something, whats wrong with Storm in the right circumstances?

I was thinking the same thing, plenty of use for storm or other highly pallatable single feeds on farms! I'm using talon soft on a pig farm and it's knocked the shit out of previously untouchable rats!

no one could compete with our prices,especially for rodents etc etc.

That's because you are subsidised by us, the people who actually pay our Council Tax... Being cheap because of that is nothing to brag about! :huh:

Precisely! The good thing about council pest control is they are rubbish at getting to customers in a decent timeframe, 3 weeks here for wasps and rodents....that's if they turn up!! Means the small companies competing with it get the jobs.

That's because you are subsidised by us, the people who actually pay our Council Tax... Being cheap because of that is nothing to brag about! :huh:

Precisely! The good thing about council pest control is they are rubbish at getting to customers in a decent timeframe, 3 weeks here for wasps and rodents....that's if they turn up!! Means the small companies competing with it get the jobs.

If that's the case where you are, you should be making the most of all the opportunities presented to you.. ;)

And I'm not bragging about being cheap,just merely pointing out facts.

If that's the case where you are, you should be making the most of all the opportunities presented to you.. ;)

And I'm not bragging about being cheap,just merely pointing out facts.

We do as Wiltshire council are shite!

I work for local council and its funny you should be giving them a bad rep etc etc..I imagine some individuals working for their local authorities etc etc on peanuts wages are inclined to not give a s..t...But that's down to the individual... Not me.. I go the extra mile every time for any and every customer.

I get to loads of jobs where private pesties have been and see the exact same things you describe and lots worse..some of the idiots I have followed have left evidence of piss poor shoddy workmanship with no regard for the customer or the outcome of the treatment. . .and charged them silly money in the process. .The business is riddled with cowboys.

we average 12-14 jobs every day, sometimes more and we do the lot inc moles and birds etc etc..

I think we do a really good job and no one could compete with our prices,especially for rodents etc etc.

Not giving them a bad name...they do it themselves! I cover a massive area so numerous councils and I see terrible ignorant pest control on a daily basis when following council pesties. Admittedly I prob don't follow the good council blokes as they then have no need to call us in! I do realise they have some good men with long service.

Sometimes it seems they have sent a transferred librarian on a pest course then set him on the general public though! Or taken on bait box checkers from the big companies.

Personally I think the council should concentrate on sewer baiting , parks and pubic spaces and enforcing rubbish clearance on council estates and at businesses.... they would take so much more business off us if they did a good job at that.

• Like 1

Not giving them a bad name...they do it themselves! I cover a massive area so numerous councils and I see terrible ignorant pest control on a daily basis when following council pesties. Admittedly I prob don't follow the good council blokes as they then have no need to call us in! I do realise they have some good men with long service.

Sometimes it seems they have sent a transferred librarian on a pest course then set him on the general public though! Or taken on bait box checkers from the big companies.

Personally I think the council should concentrate on sewer baiting , parks and pubic spaces and enforcing rubbish clearance on council estates and at businesses.... they would take so much more business off us if they did a good job at that.

Its at all ends of this business i'm afraid.. I spoke to a chap recently who's done an online course for £60 Via Lantra etc etc..he now buys large amounts of Sakarat etc etc from Killgerm and distributes it among the local allotments keepers etc etc.. So much for years of training and exams when someone can undermine the whole industry with an online questionnaire.

We do the sewer baiting and the rubbish clearances as part of our service... maybe our town is the only one that does.

Its at all ends of this business i'm afraid.. I spoke to a chap recently who's done an online course for £60 Via Lantra etc etc..he now buys large amounts of Sakarat etc etc from Killgerm and distributes it among the local allotments keepers etc etc.. So much for years of training and exams when someone can undermine the whole industry with an online questionnaire.

We do the sewer baiting and the rubbish clearances as part of our service... maybe our town is the only one that does.

I think councils do sewer baiting etc but it's reactive rather than doing it on a rota with the aim of reducing sewer rat populations.

Yeah there are cowboys everywhere...it's just more shocking when local authority employees are not just bad but criminally negligent.

"Yeah there are cowboys everywhere...it's just more shocking when local authority employees are not just bad but criminally negligent."

Well its up to each one of us out there doing the job to report and follow up on these individuals whoever they work for etc and take them to task on their illegal activities if its a local council employee or a private individual.

In respect to councils doing sewer baiting that is still the responsibility of the local water authority and the council I work for recieves a report I think every quarter with regard what areas are being baited and what takes are being found.

This contract is awarded on a 3 year basis to one of the major national companies in the yorkshire area.

If we have an internal rat job were we suspect a drianage issue which we investigate with a camera dye or smoke we refere for a sewer bait for the specific area around the property.

In respect to council pest control being subsidised you are incorrect.

Due to austerity measures my manager was tasked with making the service cost neutral or it would not survive.

Through effective management technicians commitment to going the extra mile we are now in that position and self financing taking no money from the council budget.

Are fees and charges are set with our managers strong commitment to his core values of protecting public health and ensuring the service is accesable to all memebers of society.

As a private individual or company if something does not pay no matter what impact there is on public health you walk away.

We do what public services are there for and are also driven by elected members(councilors) who also have to sanction any increase in charges.

In respect to visit times we have key performance indicators and specific response times on all treatments. We strive to meet these and some jobs such as a rat in the living environment is responded to within the day.

We get over a 1000 reports of rat activity each year which we investigate due to the councils statutory duty which are done with no income recieved.

We undertake 12 to 14 jobs maximum most days less due to the nature of the job. Every customer and a stress every customer gets a service second to none.

We work to all current legislation and keep upto speed with the everchanging picture we face in this industry.

We as a local authority service have benefits a private company will never have which is the ability to look at the wider picture and if necessary through legal notices address the issues in the wider environment which happens all the time.

If as a private individual if there is a problem at neighbouring properties or on land what can you do if the owners refuse to take responsibility?

One thing that amazes me is that in 13 years i can count the requests for assistance from private individuals on one hand with spare fingers.

We regularily refer to individuals and companies to address problems where the site has a pest control contract which is ineffective.

We provide contracts which do what it says on the tin provide a contract to manage pests at the location.

So many contracts I come across do nothing and this is one of the major problems within this industry.

These contracts are driven by a pricing structure and comission based process where by the major income is derived from an initial sale of bait stations and bait and little consideration for the service element of the contract.

These contracts are a vehicle to make money and in some cases the charges are unbelievable which as an aside has the name a pest control contract but in a lot of instances they do anything but control pests at the site.

The job I have following a career in engineering is the best job I have ever had. It is challenging,it is interesting it is rewarding is ever evolving and long may it continue.

• Like 2