Exercise Levels.

Good evening everyone,

For those that have seen my previous posts the last couple days you will know I am new to long dogs and so am having to go on something of a steep learning curve, for those that haven't seen my previous posts might I ask you to see if you can find them so I don't bore everyone else by repeating myself.

I realise that this might be a "how long is a piece of string type question but bare with me if you will.

Merlin my saluki x something lurcher is currently exercised with our other rescue dog who is a Ridgeback x Doberman. Whilst she is very high energy from the moment she is let of the lead he is far more relaxed and will just stand there. He does run with her but is reluctant to do so and I wonder are they a dog that is more of a walker and watcher than just run about everywhere.

If this is the case then I will need to just walk them seperately so I can tire her out and then just encourage him by walking around with him. Often as well he will be fixated upon one thing and despite being discouraged will return time and time again. I don't know if this is a breed thing or a result of the time he was a stray.

Any advice would be appreciated thank you,.

• Like 1

Get your missus to take the other dogs out and take your new recruit out on its own with just you. Or do both. You will get to know the dog better as well as dog will with you.

You will know what makes your dog tick. Plenty of walking and observing the land.

Dog could be nice and steady on lead until it sees its quarry?? Only one way to find out ?

Plenty of one on one with a new dog, especially an older dog

get it walking through stock and correcting it if it shows any interest

a dog not only needs physical excercise it needs mental excercise aswell

You'll soon form a bond with it where it looks at you as it leader

If you can get to Derby al out you round stock and get the dog on some game..sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders my. I have no bother getting you and the dog started

• Like 3

Any dog with half a brain, coming into a new environment, will spend weeks assessing and trying to understand the way its new world, and owners, work. Many people who take on a rescue dog are amazed at how quiet and calm their new dog is ... if the dog is sound, that will last. If not, it takes around a month for a dog to suss out completely the whys, the whats and the workings of its new environment. Only after that do you see the dog for what it really is.

• Like 3