I recently decided to have a go at parsnip wine,found a simple recipe online and had a go,heres the method and a couple of pics,

Parsnip wine

2Kg Parsnips,450g chopped raisins,1.25Kg Sugar,1tsp pectin destroying enzyme(pectolase),Yeast,Yeast nutrient,2tsp citric acid,1tsp grape tannin

Making Parsnip Wine

Scrub the parsnips, chop them and put them into a pan with water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the are tender (but not mushy - this is important as if you over cook them the wine may not clear later.)Strain the liquid onto the sugar and chopped raisins, top up to 4.5litres and allow to cool until lukewarm,Add the tannin, citric acid,pectolase,yeast and nutrient,then keep covered and ferment in the bucket for 4 or 5 days stirring daily.Strain into a fermenting jar and if necessary top up with water to 4.5litres, and seal using a bung and an airlock.Leave it in the fermenting jar until the fermentation ceases, then rack into another jar and repeat the process as necessary until the wine clears.Bottle into clean sterilized bottles, and leave for at least a year before drinking.

post-91341-0-52731400-1459284089_thumb.jpg

post-91341-0-04678000-1459284117_thumb.jpg

post-91341-0-09417400-1459284192_thumb.jpg

I'll keep updating as I go through the stages...

• Like 2

Oh man tell me about it! I'm one for being all keen at the start then forgetting all about things when they are at the next step,that's why I like to keep it as simple and as less ingredients as possible,I'll get there I think cus I'm quite interested and trying hard at the minute but they all seem to need a long time to be ready to drink!

That's what I'm aiming at,keep a slow but constant supply on the go,fill the cupboard and keep making excuses to the wife! Got a list of things to get through and try,so should make an interesting year or so ahead!!

Edited by random
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the wine now,clearing and stabilising...

post-91341-0-45909300-1462094543_thumb.jpg

Not as clear as I'd expected but pretty good so far,might need racking again before bottling...

• Like 1