• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think its more a case of what you can get hold of. Any manure is handy and preferably free. I have access too pig but need to bag it up and plonk in the car which don't go down well. Then some fella

About 20 years ago the local gardening club I was a member of used to get in guest speakers. One of those speakers was a chap called Roy Criddle. He was known as a good exhibition onion grower, he don

I think its more a case of what you can get hold of. Any manure is handy and preferably free. I have access too pig but need to bag it up and plonk in the car which don't go down well. Then some fella bags up horse manure and puts by his gate which is very nice of him. Then there is a local farmer who delivers half a trailer load for 20 quid but at least then you can be liberal with it.

I got a full load as I have two plots so that should do for a couple of years and I will top up with free stuff. I also take all my peelings backup and throw in a compost bin so goes back on as well

18832848968_46c07d34ee_c.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Sorry VFR. just had this picture of you, and to be fair, a few mallard, on a flight pond, collecting duck shit. ;) Now come on , that has to be a comedy sketch. However, :hmm: now that you explain it in more detail maybe there is a grain of truth there. Only thing is, as was explained to me many years ago,HOT shit is not always GOOD shit. It all needs years of getting rid of the drugs. Racing pigeons and farm bred fowl are no exception. They all have them and to introduce them into your garden is not very good, In My Opinion. ;) Now cow muck, which has been heaped for a few years, full of natures best, must be the muck of choice. You must admit to having never met a poor or stupid farmer. They do not spread duck shit. :boogy:

• Like 1

About 20 years ago the local gardening club I was a member of used to get in guest speakers. One of those speakers was a chap called Roy Criddle. He was known as a good exhibition onion grower, he done his talk along with slides as it was then and it was very informative.

He had his own strain of the Kelsea onion that he had developed over the years. One of the main factors in growing large onions is the bed preparation. Developing the bed starts in the previous autumn he was adamant that the only manure worth using was well rotted horse manure with plenty of straw. Place at least a depth of 4" over the soil and dig in in the Autumn then cover with black polythene.

I spoke to him after the lecture and he recommended well rotted horse manure for all vegetables to be dug in in the Autumn. His theory was that the soil closes around the shafts of the straw and when the straw disintegrates they leave small airways in the soil that help with irrigation to the plants roots and also allow air to get into the soil and allow the roots to breathe. To be honest most of it went over my head, but following his recipe I grew 30 onions of which the largest was 6lb and the smallest 3lb and that was on a plot that had been used and abused since god knows when.

TC

• Like 2

Good on you son. Clearly I wish you all the best because we all need a bit of help with nature. I'm so looking forward to the new season and we are only in November. Can you believe that I picked a punnet of raspberries on Tuesday? Mad. Now then. Little tip. Riddle some ground for your carrots and parsnips and you will reap rewards. I couldn't for the life of me grow the things until being told.

• Like 1