Unsteady Gsp Pup.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

get him to a dog trainer for £30 an hour its worth it

Mark just a tip which may help....WHEN SPEAKING TO THE TRAINER, BE TOTALLY HONEST WITH WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WITH THE DOG AND HOW YOU HAVE GONE ABOUT IT, EVEN IF IT MAKES YOU LOOK A C^NT. You might as we

Hi lads, Here he is on his third session under the air rifle, a great way to steady him up from a hide. ( just turned 2 yrs old)   atb          

Posted Images

I wouldn't be that focused on the whistle as such Mark , I would set up situations where the dog stopping itself gets to mouth the prey , control from the inside out not the outside in ,

He's giving the pup enough time to mature so the whistle becomes habit forming all the while you become his avenue to the hunt , which n turn will bond him to you ,

In time the stop signal is only the negetive before the positive and a dog can deal with that , while previous to that the negetive (stop whistle) was standing on its own and the dog couldnt see a positive after it , if ya get my drift

• Like 1

Yes, you need something to hold his attention, in my opinion it is a very good way of slowing the dog, allowing you to see his body language so you are able to read him better, done on a long line,and worked up wind on the cage, but do it carefully, enforce the point that's what the dogs bred to do, after a while when and only when, you know he has this lesson ingrained in his memory,do you go onto releasing the bird in sight of him, while giving the command to drop, keep all the commands simple, the problem with this, is you will get the benefits of every bodies different ways of doing things, what works for them with there accompanying body language, stroller is right if you are struggling, book the dog in for a week or so with a pro trainer,or ask if you can spend time with the guy so you get a better idea,

good luck

Thank you lads.

Yes Casso, Darren i understand. I purchased both of the Tom Brechney training videos for HPR a while back and have managed some good results up to now.

What i did notice was that Tom Brechney`s bitch is a lot older than my 15 month(just turned) giddy pup. That bitch has bigger tits than a page 3 model., obviously had a litter or two, so, - much more mature and ready trained, to film with.

Yes the videos explain very well, the use and how to side of the pigeon trap but not how to catch pigeons in the market square :laugh: .

I`m not trying to make a faultless hunting machine lads, just my humble attempts to make a fair GSP that gets to work regularly, that`s all :yes: .

I also understand that everyone has their own ways.

Hope you don`t mind if i come back asking again in time.

Thank You.

Edited by mark williams

Check out , Higgins gun dogs , The Higgins Method,

He has a real understanding of how the predator / prey dynamic plays out in dog and bird,

He works with what the dog does naturally and thinks nothing of taking 12 week old pups in the field,

The simple truth of it is the prey controls the predator, people don't understand that important point, a lot of lads hung up on the dominance thing where we become predator like to the dog and he feels prey like but in the long run the more a dog fulfills his predator role the more in tune with us he is

Mark if you can get your head round one theory or another it's a lot easier to follow with a structure in dog training , working with the natural inclinations is a lot easier then pulling against it but at the end of the day it's what works for you bud ,

https://youtu.be/LSi4mkpyssU

Best of luck

Edited by Casso

Mark fare play to you, plod on steady, it's not rocket science and no one knows the dog better than you,you are doing the right thing by asking,

Training a dog / partner and that is what they become,is a time consuming thing but worth the journey, ask all you want as far as I am concerned,

Took him out again, for a long one, this morning and he flushed three consecutive coveys of partridges on the long lead.

The first covey i peeped, he sat immediately,and watched them fly(loads of praise). The next covey he sat first i peeped second and again the third.(A tad of steadiness already and loads of praise).

The Higgins method looks very interesting Casso :hmm:

Edited by mark williams
  • 7 months later...

I think the palm up is to reinforce the stay command

It's just a case of too much too soon ,back to basics......every time you blow the stop whistle the dog must stop ,if it doesn't you must get out there and drag the dog back to the spot you blew the whistle at........it must be every time

Are you stopping him on a single pip ........a long blast is better

Hi mate, he`s fine on the stop whistle now, it`s a long, continuing thread.

Can`t thank you lads enough, took him out tonight under the air rifle again, sitting over a rabbit warren at about 35 yds.

He sat completely silent and watched everything, just sucked it all in. ( 4th successful outing )

I shot a rabbit, he stayed put and I simply said " fetch mate" he went in and brought back the rabbit to hand. Marvellous retriever, - every time.

I will put him under the shot gun again soon on the pigeon, decoys, crops, - he`ll suck that lot in too, the thing that gets me is he now knows the gun gets the bird , not him, - no chase and steady.

Next game season will be Kaisers first season on game,- how he`s maturing is wonderful to watch and take in.

post-85710-0-06834900-1461532520_thumb.jpg