Daystate Regal. I've Found The Low Power Problem Out With Them.

Gentlemen.

Well, today is a day of revelations. Let me start by saying I'm no way a techiie on PCP air rifles. I don't have a clue of how they work as compared to a spring rifle.

I took my Daystate Regal for a chrono test at MGR GUNS of WOODHALL SPA, LINCS. Not far from my house.

It began when I filled my REGAL with a new charge of air from a newly filled tank today. As the air pressure decreases with use in the tank, so I notice the fill-bar pressure in the rifle decreaes on the guage in the stock forend.. Simple enough.

At around 150-160 bar pressure the rifle delivers a sweet, 11.3 ft/lb performance. All very nice as it should be. So far, so good.

Now, I've had the air tank refilled, a full charge into the rifle takes it way up to over 210 bar pressure, and here is where the rifle performs poor. Today's chrono test revealed only 10.3 foot pounds. A whole ONE FOOT POUND of pressure lost. Is this a normal state withy all other PCPs?

This to me, might mean the Daystate spring isn't strong enough to release the valve properly and consistently at that pressure. As the cylinder-pressure decreases with each shot, the better the rifle's performance rises

So Daystate. You need a stronger valve spring fitted that can operate consistently at all bar pressures from filling.

And when we took the rifle out of the stock, I find the Daystate seals are still in place unbroken. So that means the work I paid to REDBECK SHOOTINGS SUPPLIES, WAKEFIELD WEST YORKSHIRE TO HAVE DONE, HAS NOT BEEN DONE.

They probably knew this would happen, did nothing for 10 minutes and charged me £26.00 service costs. This rifle has not been touched since it left Daystate's factory.

Because if they, or anyone else tuned the rifle up to 11.3 ft lbs while the rifle was filled at 210 bar, the decrease in bar pressure to 150 or so, would take the rifle up to something like an illegal 12.3 or even higher, when the rifle reaches a reduction to about 160 bar pressure and the spring performs better.

The days when the Police didn'r mind a rifle being a pound or two over limit, are long gone. It would take little to render anyone owning this rifle to be in possession of an unlicenced firearm nowadays. That's 5 years inside prison!

Is there someone here who can better explain what is going on because Daystate need to be aware of this aspect with the Regal's faulty power settings.

As for Red Beck, they have just lost a customer and a lot of future money spent elsewhere in future. The guys at MGR told me they do not touch Daystates for service repairs. Too much of a hassle and a b@st@rd to work on apparently.

As for Daystate. I will never EVER buy another rifle from them. Period.

I am firmly with Mitch/Villaman. Overpriced, undermade crap!

Next rifle I buy will have all-springs in it, that work. LIKE AN HW 80k!

All the best and thanks for reading.
Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

Simon , have checked with Redbeck to see if they put another seal on it ?

The regal is very easy to adjust Simon ,when mine came back under powered ,I adjusted mine and took me only about !0 minuets to do !!

If you want any help ,let me know :thumbs:

• Like 1

sorry to say it Simon but that's about normal performance from most pcp`s if they are unregulated, that's what people refer to when they mention "sweet spot", they all have some sort of power curve, that is one of the main drawbacks of them but when you learn where it shoots consistently its not a problem when the gun has some sort of built in pressure indicator (just have to learn that as well as none seem to be accurate), none on my s200`s so I just have extra mags and refill when all mags are empty

• Like 1

You learn something new every day with these bloody things. I'm glad, in a way to see this Regal is symptomatic of unregulated systems, not so for the fact that I'm starting to wonder where exactly, the £800 price tag can be justified if this is an unregulated rifle. You'd think, for this level price-point a better-than-normal regulator would come as standard.

Once again in British business, it's something for nothing or as near as. Same old British Leyland load of crap.

I'm not giving up on it though. Thanks Mitch for the heads-up on XTXair regulators for the Regal. I'll throw a bit more cash at it and see if it sticks this time. I don't want to break the law with silly levels of power. But just humane killing power, reliably delivered on a rabbit's head at up 45-50 metre ranges is not unrealistic for a rifle of this level of accuracy.

Can't understand why Helen's Huntsman Classic is a beauty. We've not had a murmer of trouble with it. Superb rifle really.

Simon , have checked with Redbeck to see if they put another seal on it ?

The regal is very easy to adjust Simon ,when mine came back under powered ,I adjusted mine and took me only about !0 minuets to do !!

If you want any help ,let me know :thumbs:

I wish we lived a bit nearer Mitch. Thanks mate I can't see it leaking, just this bloody great power curve of a whole foot pound's worth of difference.

Best wishes to everyone.
Simon

What ever happened to the bloke who came on here , he was meant sort all the problems out with Daystate , never heard of him since , perhaps he took on more than he could chew !!

More like he choked on all the problems they are having.

Shame as some of the day states " look " at nice rifle but the workings leave a lot to be desired

• Like 1

What ever happened to the bloke who came on here , he was meant sort all the problems out with Daystate , never heard of him since , perhaps he took on more than he could chew !!

More like he choked on all the problems they are having.

Shame as some of the day states " look " at nice rifle but the workings leave a lot to be desired

Somehow, I don't think we'll be hearing from that fellow again for these reasons and more above. There must be a great bloody wall of complaints and disatisfied customers ready to chuck their rifles back at Daystate.

So the reality is, I have an £800 air rifle that only performs at its best when there's about half a cylinder of air left and NOBODY can do a thing to improve it, as it stands, without buying another outside-source regulator to do the job properly. (Amazes me how many people you end up turning to for help in sorting Daystate's job out for them and get the thing to work as it should!).

So, it would seem Daystate's claim that the Regal can deliver 80-90 full-power shots on one fill is a pack of lies.

Fine! What a bloody hopeless shambles this is turning out to be.

Alright then. Given that the rifle performs superbly once it gets down to the 'sweet spot', what are these XTXair regulators like and what will it cost for them to fit one please?

Simon

This has long been a problem with unregulated air rifles. Firstly the Rapid 7 mk 1, If you filled it to the full 200 bar you would be a ft lb under what it was in the sweet spot, good thing with the Rapid was the size of the buddy bottle, sort of made it a large sweet spot so to speak.

The BSA Ultra, Scorpion, Ultra SE, Scorpion SE all exhibit this sort of behaviour, low power until the cylinder drops in pressure to approx 180 bar. Air Arms S200, S300, S400 series all do the same. Hence the abundance of after market regulators for these rifles.

Daystate were supposed to have obviated this slightly with the Harper valve set up and further refined in the Regal action by making it out of Titanium. Sounds like they have not succeeded!

As other people have said, the way to get round this problem is to fit a regulator and then get the gun properly set up with the regulator, so no sweet spot or just fill to 180 bar.

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 1

pretty much the same with everything nowadays, throw it together to satisfy the mass market and rely on most not knowing enough to know that things should be better, makes no difference if its an £800 daystate or a £80 Chinese springer there will be a way of making it perform better than it was out of the box, about the only thing that seems not to apply to these rules are modern machine assembled car engines, once they`ve been apart their never the same

• Like 1

Alright then. Given that the rifle performs superbly once it gets down to the 'sweet spot', what are these XTXair regulators like and what will it cost for them to fit one please?

Simon

Here you go Simon, scroll down to Daystate

http://xtxair.com/services-price-list.php

£200 to service and regulate Regal and p&p is extra

• Like 2

Thanks zandy01 and Mitch for the links to XTXAir.

Not quite as dear as I anticipated (I thought 250-300 quid.) I like the look of this fellow's workmanship. Definitely the way to go.

Thanks again Gentlemen.

Simon.

• Like 2