Log Splitter? (Hand Held) Advice Needed, Please

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Now this post is actually a little embarressing. But I defend myself with the simple fact that, being brought up in an inner city, I simply never got to learn about things like this on my Dads knee. In fact, I'd never ever heard of the damn things till I saw them in the creamery and eventually bought one to use here. I just tried to use it and that was the end of that idea!

Now; I was looking at some felling axes in town the other day. Obviously, an axe needs to be sharp and these were sold with quite an edge on them. Makes sense then. But these Log Splitters are sold with a very blunt, almost Rounded 'blade'. So I figured, if they needed grinding down, why not sell them that way? In fact, I wonder why people don't just use axes to split logs. But, if an axe isn't suitable, then perhaps that's why they sell these purpose made things and why they come as they do?

Well, despite all this mental wrangling; The damn thing just bounced off a log. No mater how hard I brought it crashing down. It was futile.

So; WTF is up with This thing, please? This is a view down onto the edge of the 'Blade', from above.

Log Beater

post-3041-1193682293.jpg

Ditch,

From what I can see of it it looks like a conventional splitting axe you have there my friend.

Now, forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but you are trying to split corded (that is sections of) sawn timber?

If so, place the log on its end on top of a bigger block, flat side to flat side and aim to hit the log along an imaginary line that runs from the centre of the log to your 6 o'clock on the target log. If the blow is well aimed, and the log is not too soggy/not knotted softwood/not too damn big, then it should half nicely.

Try that and let me know how you get on

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:( That's about exactly what I was trying to to, O'. Only I put the log on the cattle crush floor - that being thick as shit concrete. Gave it an almighty whack, right in the middle. Repeated, ad nauseum. Just made a serise of dents in it!

This is pine logs, about 9" diameter and that or less top to bottom. Pretty typical fire wood, I'd have thought? B*stard was having none of it though :no:

Guest The Big Fish

Ditch, forgive my intereference, but does the axe have a flat end, tuther end of the pointy bit?

If so you may need to place the axe on the log and then hit the axe with a lump hammer or other such heavy object, similar fashion to a chisel :thumbs:

Ditch

The whole point (no pun intended) of the rapid thickening of the 'blade' is to force the wood outwards quickly and so split the log along the natural grain lines. The trouble with a sharp axe is that it cuts more and so penetrate deeper without forcing a split and so gets stuck.

A few things come to mind:

- you are spliting along the log aren't you ? not trying to shop one in half length ways (The dents look to be in the right end but had to check)

- the log in the picture looks fairly big. How long are the lengths you're splitting ? You won't split long lengths with that thing.

And I agree, if all else fails hold it in place and whack the back with a bigger hammer

DITCH ,

IF YOU HAVE A CHAINSAW ......... RUN A CUT IN THE LOG ENDS AND ALONG THE TOP SIDE OF THE LOG ....... GET YOURSELF SOME HARDWOOD OR STEEL WEDGES ABOUT A FOOT LONG ..... HAMMER THE WEDGES IN STARTING AT ONE END ...... NO MATTER HOW LARGE THE LOG THIS METHOD WILL SPLIT IT , WITH THE RIGHT SIZED WEDGES

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ok, lads. I've checked the net and this thing's otherwise known as a " Splitting Maul ". It's made by Garant and their 'Grizzly' products are top of their range. As said, I also have their " Hunting Axe " (Hatchet, to you or me) and Lump Hammer. If they did a Pick Axe I'd have bought this brand in that too.

Now, getting seriously into it, I've just measured my woods. (God, did I have to choose That word carefully! :laugh:) I'm averaging 8" Wide x 6 1/4" Long and 6" Wide by 8" Long. All Sitka Spruce. Same tree. Felled at the beginning of the year and stored dry since.

Yeppers. I was beating at the grain / cut end. Yeppers, it has a flat back end to the head. But, if it was meant to be struck with a Sledge, why the long shaft? Keep ye mate out of the way while he holds it???

DW; I do have a chain saw. Hence I have these logs. But if I start messing around with that again and finding / buying such steel wedges? I'd might as well take Stu' Youngs advice from Chat earlier: " Put the thing in the shed and never look at it again " :laugh:

Here ye go; So you lads can look at it:

post-3041-1193698742.jpg

post-3041-1193698797.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:blink: What in earth's a High Lift Jack, mate? One of those things they put under moters?

Just trying to figure out how to brace the whole shebang. Seems a bit complicated to me. I was rather hoping a bloody good whack would do it :no:

on if you have some spare time you can make a log spliter there are a couple of ways to go.

1) hydraulic bit complicated to make but quick to use

2) use a screw cone to split its a big steel cone treaded like a screw it draws the would up it and the width of the cone splits it.

i use number 2 but it sits on my tractor and runs of the PTO bit dangerous if the log grips on the cone and starts to spin :(

Hi Ditch

Heres a recipe for log-splitting: :whistling:

A good chopping block about 18 inches diameter x 12 high (makes life much easier and avoids busting concrete floor)

Splitting axe

Forget the lump hammer, use a sledge hammer !

splitting-axe.jpg

Place log on block, wallop with axe (you'll get a bit of an idea from impact sound whether its gonna co-operate and split ok)

If theres no-one around to hold axe for you grip handle between knees (no, not joking!)

Belt the flat back of axe-head with sledge hammer and listen for that sound that tells you its splitting....... :clapper:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Aye. I very positively agree about the Block / Table idea. Yesterday I set too using one or two rocks in my land here. Worked quite well, actually. Had to get the 'victim' log well placed and steady. But it took the force and kept the impact in the victim anyway.

Trouble is, I was still having to whack 'em so bloody hard I was worried about my heart. Seriously. It was f*cking hard work and I'm not built for, aged for or particularly in any condition for quite such physical excercion at my stage in the game.

Maybe I'll buy a Jack after all? Then people can call me a Jacker and I s'pose we can then argue about wether to whack me with a spade or give me to someone as a pet. Long as they don't cut my f*ckin bals off first! :icon_eek:

If its pine like you say it should split easy as removing Jordans uder garments when she has a belly full of pish.

some logs when seasoned just wont split, green hart and mahogany being the worst. with that log spliter you have i would hazared a guess your not bringing the head of the axe down in a true upright manner, this will cause a bounce.

WARNING; if the head of the spliting axe isnt hardend, hitting it with a lump hammer will cause it to shatter and worse still, a shard of flying metal will easerly blind you.

maybe your just not man enough to weild such a fine looking chopper, hey ditch?

Guest Ditch_Shitter
:no: See above, MC. I genuinely don't think I am! I'm too skinny, old and f*cked. Simple as that. Few decades ago, even my bosses acclaimed me an " Animal " for the way I'd attack a wall with a 28 Ilb. Sledge. But I've simply not worked in that sort of job for decades now. I smoke like a chimney. My arteries are medically shown to be hardening. I'm a walking dead man. Fact. I'm f*cked. I'll buy a jack :(

You can get 'wood grenades' that you bosh with a sledge or 2 lb hammer. Haven't used on so cant rate it but the look pretty good. The are like a traditional wedge but are twisted and with a point that goes into a wider star shape. I find pine is a fecker when its seasoned to split so split it asap. Careful of those pretty toes of yours as well :whistling: