Building Confidence

a friend owns a saluki x grey x whippet and has asked me to post about gaining a dogs confidence, any tips that people have for gaining a dogs drive! perfect squat rabbits really are few and far between and his dog seems to be loosing confidence?? any advice welcome! :) cheers

Edited by Dan Davies

I would sooner double it up on a couple

Each to their own,not for me though.

not really for me but its better than droppers at least they will or should work to catch their prey

Yeah should've said droppers ain't the way imo.I Would just keep giving the dogs as many runs as possible.Just don't like slipping a pup with a older dog.jmo

Is it the strike that is missing? If the dog seems reluctant to strike then whizzing a rabbits skin on a pole and string around a field by day will help the dog get its eye in and learn how to connect jaws with rabbit.

Also, how are you lamping? If the rabbit is already too close to the hedge then most dogs won't have a chance. Something else to help young dog is to go out the two of you, with two lamps, but only one dog: your mate stays by the hedge while you walk the dog out to the rabbit. When it runs back to the hedge your mate blinds the rabbit off its run: being careful not to blind the dog at the same time! Waggling the beam in the rabbit's face can confuse it and give the dog a better chance. This works for us where there is a lot of light pollution and very canny rabbits on smooth grass land.