Anyones Canaries Started Yet?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers Fireman.....this first year will just be a watch and learn time for me so advice is much appreciated

Had some Irish hatch today, couple more on eggs and 2 hens laying to my linnet cock. My greenies in the aviary have layed their first egg too.

I know im being a bit of a melt showing pictures but im well chuffed with the little dudes As you can probably see they are in one of those silly little indoor aviary things ....would that be anythi

• 4 weeks later...

Got a little crew of 3 day old chicks here......

How does this work..........there was 4 eggs but theres only 3 chicks and no signs of a corpse,shell or nothing.....whats likely to of occurred there ?.......

Also whats the likely outcome colour wise from a red factor and a normal yellow will they be some of each or a mix of the 2 colours ?

The parents will have got rid of it Gnasher,in the wild a broken egg shell means dinner is served to a predator so the parents remove all the shells,not sure about the unhatched egg and maybe it got knocked out by the hen bird when she got off them after brooding the chicks.Either that or a different canary fancied egg for breakie so keep an eye on any other birds messing with the nest but that's a slim chance of that happening with canaries,colour wise with those two i haven't a clue myself but what ever you get a big well done and best of luck :victory: .

Thankyou Fireman.........ive got this ringing carry on to do next week im not at all confident about doing it so ive got someone coming round to show me how.......interesting little hobby this wish id started it years ago !

• Like 1

You know you don't have to ring canaries unless you want to show them and if you want to ring them just for yourself for id reasons then you can get split rings that go on so much easier then closed rings.Last year ringing some redpolls for the first time did my head right in as they are a small bird and one of the hardest to ring but go into it with cofidence and don't be shy of using a bit of spit to slid the ring on if it's a little tight (like if you were removing a tight ring on your finger,spit on it and it comes off easier) but like i say mate you don't have to ring canaries like you do the native finches.

Oh right i didnt know that i just presumed they all had to have them.....split rings sounds much easier i guess you just wrap them round the leg and clamp them shut............and presumably it dont really need to be done so young ?....yes its only for id purposes i dont fancy all that showing malarky.

• Like 1

Yes that's right they just wrap round and you can leave till they've fledged but there'll be harder to catch then :laugh:,but the thing with ringing in the nest is some parent birds will try to remove the foriegn object in the nest and they can sometimes chuck out the chick as well.A tip i was given is ring in the evening and the parent will want to just settle down for the night and in the morning the parents are busy with breakfast rather than having a spring clean in the nest,but always worth keeping a eye out for once you have rung a young bird :yes: ,if you ring when their older the birds themselves will peck at the rings but there'll get used to them soon enough and i have adult birds that still peck at their rings but it don't stress them wearing them as far as i can tell.

• Like 2

How does this work..........there was 4 eggs but theres only 3 chicks and no signs of a corpse,shell or nothing.....whats likely to of occurred there ?.......

Also whats the likely outcome colour wise from a red factor and a normal yellow will they be some of each or a mix of the 2 colours ?

Good luck with your chicks mate, eggfood, peas and broccoli will get them to the sticks for you. Colour wise they should all be yellow, red factors only go red when they are colour fed with carophyll.

good tip fireman about the ringing at night, I,ve rung birds with split rings but not closed so it,ll be a first for me using closed rings if I manage to breed any natives this year,

you must be chuffed gnasher seeing your first chicks, good luck :thumbs:

• Like 2

I have Fifes and last year the end of March, early April eggs were clear, split them up and 3 weeks later they started again all went two rounds and would have gone three but had 30 chicks so called a halt, I will be waiting another couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Good luck with your chicks mate, eggfood, peas and broccoli will get them to the sticks for you. Colour wise they should all be yellow, red factors only go red when they are colour fed with carophyll.

red factors should still be a tad red even if not colour fed mate but they look like there washed out.

I know im being a bit of a melt showing pictures but im well chuffed with the little dudes :D

As you can probably see they are in one of those silly little indoor aviary things ....would that be anything to do with why they have bred maybe sooner in the year than most the fact that its a touch warmer in there.....or doesnt it work like that.

chicks_zps6f187d58.jpg

• Like 3