97 replies to this topic

#16 Craig Fosse

Craig Fosse

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:45 am

Just make sure you use something that won't corrode like a coke can as you will never be properly zeroed

#17 cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:56 am

Don't normally post in airguns, but I was searching for some obscure ruger mounts a few ago and came across several different mounts that had elevation adjustment built in.

I agree with others and I would suggest zeroing at a min 20yds and concentrate on the group rather than the target centre, if it groups ok from as steady a position as possible I would doubt it's the gun.

Incidentally I had a BSA sweet 17 on a 22 rimfire, that wouldn't come up to target at 60 yds, needed packing, didn't like it, swapped out the scope and all well, BSA on different gun, same problem, scope now in bin. :censored:

#18 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:42 am

Once again, many thanks Guys. I have taken Tim's advice to heart, and hopefully the problem will decrease as my range extends. Thanks again to all.

#19 Craig Fosse

Craig Fosse

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:15 pm

Black, not sure how your firing but to rule out the gun, do it from a rest and aim at shooting your best, you will know soon enough

#20 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:21 pm

Shooting from supported kneel, but I'm coming round to the idea that it's time to shoot a bit further ! Incidentally, I have'nt made too much adjustment to the scope, just seemed to be striking consistently low.

For the umpteenth time, thanks for replying, fellas, I'm very grateful.

#21 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:11 pm

Shooting from supported kneel, but I'm coming round to the idea that it's time to shoot a bit further ! Incidentally, I have'nt made too much adjustment to the scope, just seemed to be striking consistently low.

For the umpteenth time, thanks for replying, fellas, I'm very grateful.

If you have the horizontal adjustment somewhere near then you need to try at 25 yards or close to it.

Out of interest what calibre is your rifle? If you can give me the measurement between the centreline of the scope and the centreline of barrel I'll work out some figures for you based on 11ftlbs. It won't be super accurate without chrono figures but we can get pretty close.

If it doesn't work this way we'll investigate adjustable mounts.

Regards

Tim

#22 Tron

Tron

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:47 pm

Just make sure you use something that won't corrode like a coke can as you will never be properly zeroed

Most soft drink cans are made of aluminium so will not corrode get your facts right.

#23 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:59 pm

Most soft drink cans are made of aluminium so will not corrode get your facts right.

Aluminium corrodes like any other metal but it goes white and powdery instead of brown and rusty so get your bloody facts right!

The best shimming material is 35mm film negatives cut in strips, if you haven't got any then use use thin plastic or rubber sheet. I've used rubber in the past and it's worked particularly well on guns with highrecoil.

• 8shot and Buster321c like this

#24 Craig Fosse

Craig Fosse

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:17 pm

Firstly tron, if you read the sentence how I wrote it then you would understand I said make sure you choose something that WON'T corrode like a coke can, which means your right, so dont go mouthing off at me when I'm agreeing with you!!! As for timmy you learn something every day hahaha!!, I've used rubber in the past too and I prefer it to be honest, sometimes the aluminium of a coke can leave a stain on your scope,

cheers for correcting our most abusive friend above :)

#25 Tron

Tron

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:31 pm

Well Craig you worded it like  saying I was incorrect!. If you had read some of my earlier posts I have often also advised  to use shims made from plastic milk cartons. As for Timmy saying use film negatives How many people have such stuff in their possesion?? nobody I know! all the cameras I have are digital. as for timmy perhaps he dosent know  that most scopes and mounts are made of....Guess what? Aluminium. So perhaps he should (to use his own words)---To get his bloody facts right.

#26 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:42 pm

Firstly tron, if you read the sentence how I wrote it then you would understand I said make sure you choose something that WON'T corrode like a coke can, which means your right, so dont go mouthing off at me when I'm agreeing with you!!! As for timmy you learn something every day hahaha!!, I've used rubber in the past too and I prefer it to be honest, sometimes the aluminium of a coke can leave a stain on your scope,

cheers for correcting our most abusive friend above :)

If there's one thing I hate it's people who don't read posts properly or give advice without knowing what they're bloody talking about. It's easy to talk crap and screw up someone who needs basic advice and guidance.

Simple advice, given from experience, that's what the op needs. Not some crap that someone THINKS they know and regurgitates just to see their name on a post.

#27 andyfr1968

andyfr1968

Pro hunter/fettler

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:44 pm

I bet the PO's going be really keen to use this forum again in future. :no:

#28 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:48 pm

Well Craig you worded it like  saying I was incorrect!. If you had read some of my earlier posts I have often also advised  to use shims made from plastic milk cartons. As for Timmy saying use film negatives How many people have such stuff in their possesion?? nobody I know! all the cameras I have are digital. as for timmy perhaps he dosent know  that most scopes and mounts are made of....Guess what? Aluminium. So perhaps he should (to use his own words)---To get his bloody facts right.

Yes they are aluminium but coated to prevent corrosion, cut a drinks can and you have bare aluminium edges, tin coating all of which corrodes quickly and messily. Metal has no place as a shim on a scope, it's too inflexible, people have crushed tubes using it, so it has no place.

Ok, not everyone has 35 mm neg but there is plenty of alternatives that don't involve decomposing metal that will eat your mounts and ruin the finish on your scope.

#29 Johnno85

Johnno85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:50 pm

Bloody hell, clearly someone doesn't know how to read English, what is it with people on the Internet pouncing and jumping to conclusions.

#30 barrywhite

barrywhite

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:07 pm

who wants a fight

• Johnno85 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users