Waterproof coat

If you need to wear ya waterproofs in winter, then wear minimum layers. (typically at least a base layer and something to soak up the sweat). Once you stop walking, then get that extra layer on before your sweat freezes(nothin worse...bbbbbrrrrrrrrr). Like someone has already tried to point out, if your sweating too much in goretex, then your wearing too many layers.

Where we work you have to walk very long distances over rough terrain,you cant drive out there.All equipment has to be carried and taken on foot.You physically dont have the capacity to carry extra clothing.Its different when your just going around farmland.You have the luxury to leave things in the vehicles.We do wear a certain type of teeshirt underneath that does help,it wicks the sweat away from your skin to a certain degree.But like I said when you are soaked in sweat and then could be stood around in freezing galeforce winds its no laughing matter.

Hawkeye,all I'm saying is its no joke when you have a wet back and could be stood still in a freezing wind. Not willing to disclose a location on a forum.

Thats why its a good idea to wear a fairly tight base layer to wick the sweat and the have a cotton t-shirt over that to soak up sweat. Stops it staying under the gortex(or other watherproof jacket).

Try the body armour t shirts or the helly hanson as the base layer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=under+armour+tshirt&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9534001880&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=622063850676851487&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_2ydvsp9zrj_b

Out of interest what are the stockman’s wax cotton jackets like since already have gortex type jacket with fleece liner from Tresspass a while back but always a tad nervous of nights out around camp fires incase it gets spark burns through it and to be honest don’t often use a hood.

Edited by IanS

Thats why its a good idea to wear a fairly tight base layer to wick the sweat and the have a cotton t-shirt over that to soak up sweat. Stops it staying under the gortex(or other watherproof jacket).

Try the body armour t shirts or the helly hanson as the base layer.

http://www.amazon.co...sl_2ydvsp9zrj_b

Cheers derbylad they look good.The ones that we use are very good they are tight and designed to wick the sweat away from your skin.They also come in long and short sleeve and are not very expensive. Cheers.

Guest pennine man

i work a lot of moorland and dales i use gortex with base layers but i know where moorman is coming from ive just started wearing a coat made by country covers its a good piece of kit its light weight rain shield going to order the leggings to go with them cheers

I have found the Paromo Alta and Cascada to be excellant completely waterproof in sustained wet conditions and breathable. The Cascada came top of the which report, They are currently around £157 at Gooutdoors

Regards

I use Paramo kit for mountaineering, and it's top-notch. The pump-membrane system works a treat & keeps you dry as a bone without sweating your knackers off. Most of the military lads I worked with last year on a project use it too, which is good enough for me. The only downside is the fabric may not stand up that well to snagging on thorns etc. (one of my crampons went straight through the Paramo trousers last winter)

Another thumbs up for Paramo.

I have the halcon which is their full-on winter jacket with loads of pockets which is apparently worn by lots of proffesional birders and wildlife photographers. The big benefit is that, because of the way the pump-liner works, you can fill it with holes from pushing through blackthorn etc and it still keeps you dry.

On the down side: the halcon is a tad warm for the south coast (I only ever wear a single layer under mine even in the middle of winter). Also, some find the fit a little odd. If so, then you can order a made to measure garment using the same fabric in a variety of designs from Cioch who are based on Skye. Mine's due in the post this week and will be tested in Cumbria, in this lovely warm and wet British summer we're currently enjoying, in a couple of weeks.

I am going to try "Rivers west" they boost a 10 year performance guarantee :icon_eek: These are available in your price range.

Great coat clothing, highly waterproof and I have worn mine in all weathers. the downside is they absorb gallons of water in the outer fleece and get very heavy and take ages to dry.

• 4 weeks later...