Goldfinch cock going downhill

Excellent thank you all fir your help I'll try and pull him round with the advice I've been given I've been told there's nothing I can do and he will die but a don't want to give up on the the lad thanks again

Edited by andy p
  • Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my siberian goldie was like that last week mate but he wasnt eating and i honestly didnt see him making it through the night,so i mixed up a bit of hand rearing food and put some baytril in it an give

http://www.birdcareco.com/English/TheBirdCareCompany/index   Don't feed too much Niger mate as the buggers will favour that instead of eating the other and they don't get all the nutrients they need

get some chickweed for it,ya cant beat it for birds that are feeling a bit ropey,theres a saying about it,but im fecked if i can remember it,and theres still shitloads o dandelions about

Speaking form a pigeon man, as all birds get the same disease's, its all good and well guessing whats wrong and blind treating, but with the wrong treatments can cause more harm than good sometimes causing death.

As it could be cocci, canker, worms fungal / yeast infection, and the one of the many bacterial infections e coli, salmonella etc.

There is only one way that you will find out what is wrong with it, send a throat sawb, and dropping sample off to a Laboratory for testimg. :thumbs:

Speaking form a pigeon man, as all birds get the same disease's, its all good and well guessing whats wrong and blind treating, but with the wrong treatments can cause more harm than good sometimes causing death.

As it could be cocci, canker, worms fungal / yeast infection, and the one of the many bacterial infections e coli, salmonella etc.

There is only one way that you will find out what is wrong with it, send a throat sawb, and dropping sample off to a Laboratory for testimg. :thumbs:

how quick are the results

Probably not quick enough with a little bird like that mate, once their fluffed up they tend to be on their way out.

the most import thing is get the bird in a warm place i.e house or hospital cage,when a bird is ill i feed high fatty seed like niger and hemp and a special sunflower from italian these are small and brown my first response is to treat with baycox and baytril together this way we treat for quite a few ailments and baycox is only a 2 day treatment compared to many other anticocidial products.

also check his droppings this can some times give a good clue common in goldfinchs is megabacteria this is a fungus not bacteria best treat with Fungizone (Amphotericin B) or intrafugal which is for cats but very expensive @ £48 for 50ml

The one i use, they phone you the day they get the samples, and also post the results. And is about £12ish

Its best getting the birds cheacked out a couple of times through the year just to keep on top of them

and not just when they look ill cos many time like gnipper said it will be to late :thumbs:

just before i sell my goldfinchs (if i bred them) i send some random samples off for testing they test for cocci,worms,parasites and megabacteria well worth the money as it give the buyer peace of mind,also a major killer in goldfinchs is stress (hopefully in the next few month i will have a article in cage and avairy on siberian goldfinchs)

Shame to hear mate,but don't get disheartened as it happens to us all i'm affraid .Just don't give up,i a couple of years ago i didn't shut my bird room safety door and had a goldie cock flit past my hand when i was feeding it and away it went,proper gutted but now have a grand cock bird that will tread most things so onwards and upwards and it'll come good in the end.

To be fair he wasn't right from the start so when I go to get a new one I'll know what to look for I'm still gonna keep the birds I'll just have to be carefull when choosing one. Expensive mistake tho

That's what I'm gonna do get a young bird I'm not botherd about breeding this year I've got a year to get things sorted and learn more so it's probs for the best, are they cheaper at the end of the season or the same price

It happens to us all mate,i bought a siskin hen once and paid to much for her but needed one,she looked clear in the eye,rung all legaly and paid my money.It wasn't till i got her home put her in a bigger cage and found she couldn't fly,the last thing you do at a sale is let them go to see if they can fly :laugh: .There are some grand bird breeders up your way so maybe go the way Gnipper says and get a young bird that'll be bouncing to go come next year,these things are sent to test us so they say mate. :thumbs: