very interesting especially the second part, seems to fit the problem he/i had, pottassium levels has been my thinking for a while now and i have been intoducing pottassium via losalt and tomatoes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I wouldn't let him exercise free for at least another 3 weeks: the back muscles have atrophied, which means that they are very weak, and any running will put them under stress. I'd treat hi

Feck I’m agreeing with far to many people, must be getting soft in my old age, I need to go and upset some barfist somewhere lol.

Hope your dog makes a full recovery. Ive had the same problem myself.   About 10 year ago I took a dog to the vets with the problem and she hadnt a clue what it was. A greyhound bone man sussed it w

Posted Images

day 23

the dog is coming on leaps and bounds now, had him out saturday with his sire, kept him on the slip let his sire bush a few rabbits out, slipped him twice ,1 rabbit accounted for. still a long way to go but im beggining to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

post-896-0-79157800-1336463245_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-43776400-1336463265_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-21570100-1336463287_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-16356000-1336463314_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

very interesting especially the second part, seems to fit the problem he/i had, pottassium levels has been my thinking for a while now and i have been intoducing pottassium via losalt and tomatoes.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

I have asked Dennis Beary who many people will no is a respected greyhound vet about the information contained in the book i have about Exertional Rhabdomyolysis in light of people indicating the book is dated and if there is new thinking on the treatment of this condition please read his reply below.

I don't think thinking has changed much from when that excellent vloume was published. There is however an updated version published in the last few years.

The basic strategy is the same: Antinflammatories, electrolytes and possibly steroids to prevent weight loss in bad cases. Arnica is good for prevention. Having the dog fit for what it has to do remains the best prevention however.

DB.

I hope this is helpfull to people thanks Martin.

day 23

the dog is coming on leaps and bounds now, had him out saturday with his sire, kept him on the slip let his sire bush a few rabbits out, slipped him twice ,1 rabbit accounted for. still a long way to go but im beggining to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Glad to see he is getting back to his old self :thumbs:

Slowly but surely

day 23

Glad to see he is getting back to his old self :thumbs:

Slowly but surely

cheers mate, long job this one no quick fix :thumbs:
  • 2 weeks later...

day 23

Just read that post; day 23 post a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis and slipping the dog on rabbits, hope you gave it plenty of potassium to add to that that the newly damaged muscle cells were dumping into the bloodstream once again! Thankfully dogs cope with a lot of mismanagement but that’s pushing the line a bit far. Those newly developing muscles will need a lot of gradual development once the growth has stabilized before the dog starts to seriously push them.

as you can see from the photo`s at day 34 whatever im doing seems to be working, i dont see how you can make a comment on missmanagement for slipping on 2 rabbits when you have no idea as to the situation that he was slipped under, so i can throw a ball and thats fine for him to charge up a field, but its not ok according to you to run after a rabbit thats streightlining to a hedge in a long grass field.