Clearing misconceptions

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Mosby Having been a regular visitor to the USA for the past 21 years, sometimes 2, 3 and 4 times a year. I've hunted a number of the different quarry species you mention with terriers, in a varie

I think there are some prejudices about what americans expect from our dogs that I would like to clear up.   The first of which is that every American wants a hard dog. This is not true. Americans

Good post, its easy to forget how big and varied it is over there

It seems in America that there is a different expectation of terriers and culture among the hunters in every area.

I must be a little slow becouse you lost me with this one Mosby. I will agree there can be a difference in size preferred. Maybe some what dependent on type of Quarry being hunted? Other than that most everyone I have hunted with are striving for simular traits.

Mosby, I stand corrected. When you said "terriers" I automaticly thought/assumed you were talking "earth dogs". I now remember the meaning of ASSUME, and no longer need to post on this thread.

Edited by Hoss1

What i like, is when people talk about hard dogs, and theyve never seen one, and dont know what there looking at...ive been out with people, and they say "Little Bingo, hes smart as hell, he dont get hurt, hes a bayer"...you break through, and little Bingo is nervously baying away in fear that the coon will come to meet him, from 18" up the pipe...the owner shotts the coon, and that 'brave and smart' dog rushes in, guns blazing, shaking that still twitching coon around like hes a 45lbs bull dog..

if Bingos so f*****g smart, WHY does he rush in and take hold of a dead animal?...whats he doing 18" up the pipe?..a bayer is a worker, and will NOT let the game move, it uses it voice as a weapon to push game to a stop, and will shout at it,...if it wants to move, it will increase the baying pressure, and if the game STILL wants to move, the dog should put its mouth on it, and as soon as the game settles back down, the bayer will resume its singing....ANYTHING else, is NOT a bayer, or even a worker imo, and should NOT be classed as such...Bingo grabs the coon when its shot, because it know its dead, and cant retaliate back...thats cowardly imo...each to there own though.

Just the other day, i had my 'Monkey' dog to ground. I wont go into details, but it was a good, hard dig, of about 7ft when all was said and done...hes resting now, and will be ready soon enough...an all out bayer would not have got the job done, but a truly hard dog would of been marked up more, and gotten the same result as little Monkey did...me, i prefer a gritty mixer/bayer, that works for me...ive got one baying bitch, who bays PROPERLY, and is a pleasure to dig to...ive not yet owned a hard dog, and i get lots of places where such an animal would be a great deal better than my preferred type...just wanna say a big thanks again to Hoss1 for breeding and giving Monkey to me, free of charge...id of paid top dollar for the dog, he really is my 'go-to' terrier, and i cant say hes never put a foot wrong, coz he has, but hes been an awesome dog, and im lucky to have him!...the tiny mistakes he has made, ive put down to not getting out enough this season, due to the retarded warm weather were having...as with most terriers, there best worked hard but fair, and he hasnt been able to this season.

Just me babbling on.

• Like 1

"What i like, is when people talk about hard dogs, and theyve never seen one, and dont know what there looking at.."

I don't know what hardness means to most. I have seen it described ten different ways by ten different people. But I believe that there is a difference between it and agression. There are dogs, that will after a while, sit there and let a coon chew on them and give back none of what they are being given. Hard? In my book.. yes, but not particularly useful. There are dogs that will run hell on wheels into a coon and back up and do it again after getting bit. Agressive.. I'd say so, but again not worth much.

I have seen dogs stand in their own entrails and try to get back on the hog that just drug them a quarter of a mile and broke them down. Some of these were "'brave and smart' bay dogs that just got caught. Some were no more than light in the a$$ catch dogs. Most of the time it is the result of having too many dogs on the ground and they tend to get a little too high strung.

"a bayer is a worker, and will NOT let the game move, it uses it voice as a weapon to push game to a stop, and will shout at it,...if it wants to move, it will increase the baying pressure, and if the game STILL wants to move, the dog should put its mouth on it, and as soon as the game settles back down, the bayer will resume its singing....ANYTHING else, is NOT a bayer, or even a worker imo, and should NOT be classed as such"

I agree with the idea behind this statement. But there is a difference between baying in the ground with a terrier and baying a two hundred pound feral hog. The same principals apply, but the hog WILL move. It will move ALLOT and I don't care HOW good of a dog you have it will either move with it (attached or otherwise), or it will not. But no twenty pound terrier will have a hog bayed solid with out having to work for it.

I don't mind if my dogs take ahold after I shoot game. But they better not be afraid to do so before I shoot .When that game is a hog I actually prefer that they get in there right away. The d**n things can go a good long time after they are shot. Once it stops moving it can be a challenge to get the dogs refocused. I haven't ever been able to teach a terrier the meaning of caught hog. It seems like they believe that the thing is caught the minute that they lay eyes on it.lol

I hunt everything that I can, from nutria to European boar with terriers. If it involves dogs doing what they were bred for I enjoy it. I like a dog to retrieve game once shot. If it is too big to carry, I like to see them try. I don't think that my way is the right way, or the only way..but it is what I enjoy.

Most folks in the south that hunt with terriers hunt hogs. They either road them out in front, or off the hood. Somehunt out of a boat. Some walk everywhere like I do. I like the jagd because I can hunt just about anything. They are no world beaters but they work for what I do. I would say that some are pretty hard dogs by my definition. But that's just me.

Kye, I agree about the bayer analogy. So many people think they've got a "bayer" when what they've got is a cull.

One thing I do believe in though is that people should be allowed to work whatever type of dog they want to. Even if it is a cull. If a person asks my opinion, I'll tell them what I think of their dogs. Otherwise, lead by example.

I also believe a truly hard dog is very rare. I have seen two out of many many dogs. I can't name the amount I've seen that were called hard but were bayers in the end.