Got Myself a Linnet mule

Only a youngster so he's still warbling but he's been trained on Goldfinch 24/7 and never shuts up, trying to get some pics on but the forum doesn't seem to like letting me paste links at the moment.

I'm thinking of buying a linnet cock to try and breed some of these for myself next season as the lad who bred it says that linnet mules are the easiest to breed or do I waste another season trying to breed goldie mules? I've got a greenie to try with aswell next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying a linnet cock to try and breed some of these for myself next season as the lad who bred it says that linnet mules are the easiest to breed or do I waste another season trying to breed goldie mules? I've got a greenie to try with aswell next year.

If you intend breeding mules with whatever Native you choose make sure that the cock be it linnet, goldie, greenie etc is not in earshot of a hen bird of his species because he will only spend his time calling to her and ignore the canary hen.

put a cock canary in view of the hen canary divided by wire and when she squats for him the native should oblige.

(Edited to correct spelling)

Edited by Meroman

If you intend breeding mules with whatever Native you choose make sure that the cock be it linnet, goldie, greenie etc is not in earshot of a hen bird of his species because he will only spend his time calling to her and ignore the canary hen.

put a cock canary in view of the hen canary divided by wire and when she squats for him the native should oblige.

(Edited to correct spelling)

Few old wives tales in that post fella, I have bred mules in aviaries were there has been a pair of finches and a few odd canary hens the cock finch will tread them all. But i have seen the method you describe about showing a mate of the same species to the hen used to good effect especially when breeding bullfinch hybrids and mules.

• Like 1

I've got a linnet in with 2 canary hens and a goldie in with 2 hens to over winter together, no cock canary or hen finches either so they have no choice. If they don't do the biz that way I can get a canary cock back and try with him in view of the hens.