Sign in to follow this  
mjr88

Is cleaning the barrel of an air rifle really necessary

HAD MY RAPID 10 YRS PLUS NEVER CLEANED THE BARREL NEVER ADJUSTED SCOPES AND IT GETS KNOCKED ABOUT BUT ITS LIKE A TRACTOR IT JUST KEEPS GOING

i service my toys like i service the wife....

it needs doing'

this way you know they are there for you' :whistling:

it needs doing'

Do you use a pull through, cleaning pellets or a brush on the Mrs?? :laugh:

it needs doing'

Do you use a pull through, cleaning pellets or a brush on the Mrs?? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Well, you learn something new everyday. I can honestly say i have never cleaned mines barrel and i've been shooting the same gun for 12 years. Having said that i've all of a sudden been having some rather random groups of late, i thought it was maybe pellets

(i buy ten tins at a time which lasts me a while and just started a new batch) but could be the barrel wants a clean?

Whats the best method? It a .20 barrel if that makes any difference?

Well, you learn something new everyday. I can honestly say i have never cleaned mines barrel and i've been shooting the same gun for 12 years. Having said that i've all of a sudden been having some rather random groups of late, i thought it was maybe pellets

(i buy ten tins at a time which lasts me a while and just started a new batch) but could be the barrel wants a clean?

Don't know, mate, I've never cleaned one either!! :laugh:

If I did ever feel the need to, I think I'd use a pull through. I've cleaned many RF, full bore and shotgun barrels over the years and I've never felt happy using those phosphur-bronze brushes with Youngs 303 oil. I know it's safe enough for the barrel, it's just a bit of a head thing.

If I did ever feel the need to, I think I'd use a pull through. I've cleaned many RF, full bore and shotgun barrels over the years and I've never felt happy using those phosphur-bronze brushes with Youngs 303 oil. I know it's safe enough for the barrel, it's just a bit of a head thing.

Yeah, got the kit to do the rifles and shotguns but nothing that will fit .20, im not sure whether to just persist with it and see if its just me or the pellets or try and give it a clean with a pull through or something? Its never been inaccurate before and i've never cleaned it? Decisions, decisions .... :hmm:

Edited by Tyla

Yeah, got the kit to do the rifles and shotguns but nothing that will fit .20, im not sure whether to just persist with it and see if its just me or the pellets or try and give it a clean with a pull through or something? Its never been inaccurate before and i've never cleaned it? Decisions, decisions .... :hmm:

I've a bad batch of .20 Dynamic pellets. They're made from tin and will clean out any crap that's maybe built up. If you PM me a postal address. I'll send some to you.

A .177 jag/brush should do the job in the .20. I use my .22 kit to clean my .243 with no problems.