longnetting hares - no dogs invloved

guyliath

net them with the coursing club over here,its well regulated by the NSPW and holding pens,welfare of animals are inspected etc...we use gate nets and cover any gap in the ditches we find allond with gates obviously,nets have a wider mesh than rabbit long nets,are higher and should be a strong grade(4oz,6 oz can damage the hairs toes)..use a line of beaters and have a man on each net well hiden..watch ur fingers tho,the buggers give a nasty bite and can give a decent cut with the claws when ur getting them out.

Nobody can tell you how on here lad. Get out there over the summer and spring and have a walk about, you'll soon find all the slips and gates you'll have to net. Come winter get out with your nets and give it a shot. The only advice i can give is to always have your net hung loosely on the side of the stick you want it to fall on (i.e so it will fall with the hare hitting it), pull plenty of net out so you'll get it in under her feet but at the same time leave plenty of bag in your net for her to run into and always watch where your setting a net. There is nothing worse than dropping a hare only to find it shivering in a puddle or after pulling a net into a gripe or canal, it's just not worth it so if in doubt don't stick a net up. If you can try and have a friend to help you take the hare out of the net because they can be contrary after all they are wild animals, and don't be stingy and afraid to cut your new nets if needs be. Sometimes they are just wrapped up so badly a nick or two with a blade can't be avoided. As J.D said you'll need good solid boxes that are dark and small so they cannot jump around and do much damage to themselves, unless of course your catching them for the table and you can dispatch as soon as you get them. But as i've said get out there and learn yourself. Its all about trial and error.

thumbs.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, again guys for all your info. I really appreciate it. For those who have done it, would you walk the field in a line toward the net, like beating birds, or is there more to it with hares?

All the best,

G

Yes mate, one thing to bear in mind, if you are beating toward a hedge, make sure your net is set on the opposite side to where you are, they seem to go in easier. You will not make a hare go where it doesn't want to so theres a bit of field craft involved in where to set the net(s). :thumbs: Good luck., :victory:

can vouch for the fieldcraft bit, don't know about longnetting them but fieldcraft mega when gatenetting especially with young/inexperienced dog (preban of course)

[Leeview' timestamp=1299783207' post='1966987]

'nicksringo' timestamp='1299769532' post='1966566']

does any one no where you can buy hares ,,got a mate wants to buy some for his land

Now that is definately illegal :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Is it i rember that Jonny bloke Getting some for his land on the telly .

[Leeview' timestamp=1299783207' post='1966987]

'nicksringo' timestamp='1299769532' post='1966566']

does any one no where you can buy hares ,,got a mate wants to buy some for his land

Now that is definately illegal :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Is it i rember that Jonny bloke Getting some for his land on the telly .

There's no problem netting hares and repopulating elsewhere :thumbs: but your not allowed to sell british wildlife bred in the wild obviously :thumbs:

There was a case last year a woman in Scotland selling wildcats :yes:

Y.I.S Leeview

so whats the restrictions a catching hares an transporting them to repopulate other areas :thumbs:

None at all :thumbs: some land is overrun with hares and they want rid of them, net them and relocate them where they'll be appreciated :thumbs:

Y.I.s Leeview