DIY custom stocks

Hiya.

Some pictures up of the factory fit stock on the AA s200 MK3.

post-41269-076928200 1281859618_thumb.jpg

Click picture for lager view

I hope to make the stock a little longer, at the forestock, and at the butt.

Looking to fashion a stock thats in between FT and hunting design, maybe thumbhole.

Picture of the inletting.

post-41269-052837100 1281859766_thumb.jpg

Click picture for larger view.

Im thinking of doing away with the barrel band, and floating the barrel :hmm:

Then again, I may cut down the band, so it still offers support, but is hidden within the stock.

Bill.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And another         Cheers.     Bill.

Some fantastic looking stocks on here and some great talent.   Would it be possible to use one of those dremel type tools with all the various attachments to carve out a gunstock from scratch, inclu

Hiya Mark.   Thank you me dear.   Yes it was a good job I had some to spare mate   Well I managed to get to the Range, and have a pop. She felt realy nice to hold and shoot, and it was good to

Posted Images

morning sweeney

im not a lover of the s200 stock so a big change would be good :thumbs: and i do like thumbhole stocks :yes:

i would leave the barrel band off for now and see what you think when you get the action into the stock

what hand and power tools are you goin to be using?

morning sweeney

im not a lover of the s200 stock so a big change would be good :thumbs: and i do like thumbhole stocks :yes:

i would leave the barrel band off for now and see what you think when you get the action into the stock

what hand and power tools are you goin to be using?

Morning buddy.

Yes will proberbly leave it off in the first place :thumbs:

Tool's.

Hand Saw.

Fret Saw.

Electiric Plane.

Files and Rasp's.

Wood Chisels.

Spoke Shave.

Block Plane.

Dremmel.

Sander.

Huge helping of Elbow Grease :laugh::thumbs:

Bill.

• Like 1

Hi All.

Well, I got down to some drawing this morning.

The top scetch is sort of on the lines of the factory fit, but I have made it 3 inches longer to allow fitting to me.

The bottom scetch is proberbly the style Ill go for, thumb hole, with skelleton stock....save some wieght :thumbs: again its 3 inches longer.

The action is away at the moment, so waiting for that to come back, will then make a template, and get some accurate measurments for the inletting.

Im hope to hide the cylender within the stock.

Pictures so far :

Click on Picture to enlarge. :thumbs:

post-41269-010554100 1281882095_thumb.jpg

What do you reckon so far ??

Bill.

are going for an adjustable butt pad Bill? cos the cheek piece on the bottom one might be slightly too high, that said it looks the doggs :notworthy:

Hiya Joey.

Cheer's mate :thumbs:

Defo yes to the adjust Butt Padd mate :thumbs:

The Butt doe's look high in the scetch mate :yes: at the moment Im going for too much rather than not enough :laugh:

Will make a cut out template next, and check for length and hight etc, you will see the Butt end is very long too buddy, for just that reason.

Realy enjoying this :yes::D

Bill

hey sweeney

dont hate me but im not a lover of skelton stocks (look like they would break) just my opinion

how you doing the inleting maybe a router and jig :thumbs: ?????? im no expert but if i was doing a stock i would start with the inleting as you can work off a flat surface

hey sweeney

dont hate me but im not a lover of skelton stocks (look like they would break) just my opinion

how you doing the inleting maybe a router and jig :thumbs: ?????? im no expert but if i was doing a stock i would start with the inleting as you can work off a flat surface

Hi Samuri.

I wont hate you mate :laugh::laugh::laugh:.....I appreciate your input :thumbs:

Skeleton stock's are not everybody's taste buddy, but I think with normal hunting practices and carful gun handling they are ok :thumbs:...you would have to be quite unlucky and rough with handling to break one.

The sketches so far, are the start of, and on the lines of, what Id like to achieve, but not the final shape.

As there is such a lot of work involved in making the stock ( not to mention expense :D ) I am deliberatly taking my time.

Re thinking all the time as I get further into the project, look at somthing one day, then look again in a couple of day's.

Once I have made the template propper, and fitted it to me for - length of pull ( Allowing for adjustable Butt Pad ) -butt hieght- and forestock length and depth, I will start on the blank.

First step will be to Plane it down to a reasonable thickness to work with, making sure that the top edge is square, and has enough width to attatch a routing template.

Then I will cut the basic shape out of the blank, leaving a bit of a margine outside of the template line.

Yes you are spot on mate :thumbs: the inletting will be the first job once the basic shape is cut out, for the reasons you mentioned, square sides :thumbs:

Back to the drawings today, and maybe make the template :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

post-45922-021918700 1282034084_thumb.jpgold type aa s410 carbine...was dark wood, had a grip/stock designed for an east german athlete...shaved a good deal of weight and sise off, altered the butt, cheekpiece, forend and grip...cut grip to fit hand, added new type checquerin with a few twists (hand carved) and fitted a rosewood piece to bottom of grip..finished it off by staining it alla nice antique pine...all work cost me £100 off a good mate...sorry about spreading the pics, couldnt get them all on the same page Edited by taffy apple
  • Like 1

post-45922-064948300 1282033806_thumb.jpg

Hiya Taffy.

Thats a class bit of work buddy :thumbs: did you make that yourself?

If you did and would like to add some tip's please do mate, this thread is to hopefuly help other's who fancy a go at making a stock, so all input and tip's welcome :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

• IanB unpinned this topic