Anyone eating, or tried Crow.

Came across this site Crow - Link the other day.

And reminded me of my Granny. One of the locals where she lived use to drop a couple of Pheasants off, but always had half a dozen Crows for her as well. She would thank him, then as soon as the yard door was shut she chucked the Crows in the outside bin.

So, anyone had'em, and what do they taste like ??

Once fancied a try at rook pie went to local rookery to get some young uns out of the nest second nest i got to had a tapeworm three and a half foot long living in the bottom of the nest needless to say it put me right off :sick: i guess granny knows best

Once fancied a try at rook pie went to local rookery to get some young uns out of the nest second nest i got to had a tapeworm three and a half foot long living in the bottom of the nest needless to say it put me right off :sick: i guess granny knows best

Dead right, she didn't even like having them in the house.

She never told him not bother fetching them around in case he stopped bringing the Pheasants.

Hugh F-W eats rook squabs in 'Cook on the wilde side' for some farmers. They all used to eat rook pie during the war but didn't look too keen to try it again! Rooks would be ok at a push as they generally shun carrion... wouldn't try a crow :sick:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I've personally eaten Rooks. Fact is, I enjoyed them so much I made a long journey back to get some more of the b*stards! These being " Branchers ", of course ~ the almost ready to fly nestlings who sit out on the branches around the nest. There's a traditional date for all this. 1st of May or some such month? What ever. I just saw them and shot them. Then I ate them. Long time ago.

Craic is; I had a young friend of mine round here just last Sunday. He dropped by after a trip out with his .22, shooting crows. This same subject came up. Here's what I told him:

" Dean; I've eaten young rooks. 'Branchers'. They taste great and melt on ye tounge like nothing else. I'd roast them and close my eyes with pleasure as they dissolved on my tounge. Gorgeous!

In fact, if I got some now, prepared them and presented them to ye? Ye'd never guess whay they were and would be begging me for the secret.

However: That only works when they're ready. Or when you're young and determined enough that ye can go the whole shilling for yeself.

Fact is? There they sit. Out there on those branches, around the nest. Ye aim. Fire. Pick them off. Down they come. Good as gold.

Get half a dozen in ye bag and take them home. Great. Chuck them onto the table? Hmm. Look at them too closely? Ummm .....

Fact is, with their full sized, crow heads. Their scrawny necks and their black, oily breast feathers? Urgh! But once those white, quilly wings fall open and reveal the true revoltingness of them ....? :unsure:

Get over it. Ye have to. 'Think of england' as ye behead them. Then get rid of those damn wings and feet. Now they're almost bareable to look at. Finish them off and get them cooked ~ ridding ye mind, mheanwhile, of what ye saw earlier. Then Enjoy! Quite the experiance!

But my advise - To Anyone - is to enjoy the shooting. Then enjoy the eating. If ye can miss out the bit about actually looking too damn closely at what ye have there? The Experiance! "

And there ye have it. Real life facts ~ From a man who Has! :good:

But Carrion Crow? Get a f*cking life! :sick:

Tried young rook straight from the branches and fresh from the nests,we used to shoot bag fulls years ago being only young back then i used to get the smelly job of debreasting them and cleaning the meat ,but couldnt resist frying some of the meat and making some sarnies while the rest went into pies my old man used to make. :thumbs-up: