The Deer Thread..........

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yes:

Just watched the urban deer programme on BBC2........not bad!

Intresting to hear that Roe only hang about in small groups....this fits with my limited sightings......is this anyone elses experience?

JOEB

the most roe i have seen together in my area has been 5....but....i live in an area where there are not that many roe, and the ones there are are under pressure :) but when hunting the places in norfolk area there is a huge population of roe and i have seen as many as 16 in one field, they were not in the same "group" as such, but were over a hundred yard area....give or take. The density of deer ranges enormously over the uk...some places there are deer in every field, others there are no deer for tens of miles. (even though the habitat is perfect.). there was a hell of alot down in hampshire the other year, mainly fallow, but the ground was trecherous and not ideally suited to running with my sort of dog, but he was lame anyway due to having been running some CWD on the way down :D either way you look at it, the deer population is spiralling. :yes:

Only ever seen a few roe in my local forest in the last 10 years although as you say JD, its ideal habitat. We have a small (very) population of roe about 10 miles from me and about 20 miles away we have roe, fallow and muntjac. Couldn't believe the number of roe in Hampshire when we went a couple of weeks ago. I love photographing deer when we travel to Scotland, always see hundreds of reds and roe :)

When I was ferreting on Sunday, I was all alone doing an earth out in the middle of a set aside field, crouching down well back from the warren, a pair of Roe broke from some woods an ran right at me.......

I was hidden behind some telegraph poles at the time........quiet a sight for me and the dog :yes:

Nice size too........

JOEB

• 1 month later...

Had a munty buck walk right up behind me when I was ferreting the other week, only had my little beddy x with me, and she cant catch a cold bless her........when the big dogs well again I will probly see feck all.

J

Guest snatch flcc

I seen 2 munjac tonight on the way to feed my dogs, caught one by accident on sunday, was walking a footpath and my spaniel x pushed one out of a bush and my lurcher was off the lead, I told the police and they said that as it was accidental it was ok!? :clapper: :whistle:

We have loads of munty near where I live also fallow, have a heard of 30-40 fallow which i see regularly in the daytime just grazing in the field, also see them in smaller groups, seen 5 on sunday and 2 on tuesday, I flushed one out of game cover last week, luckily all my lurchers were on the lead or it could have been messy!

I am hoping to buy a decent video camera as I want to film them for a year and make a documentry on them if I can, it will be time consuming but well worthwhile!

Going back to muntjac I had my muntjac head delivered this week from John Hallet and may I say it looks great! Not sure if it is a silver or gold medal but it is wicked! I caught it about 2 years ago whilst walking my dogs on Mill Hill golf coarse North west London well inside the M25! its now hanging in pride of place on my office all!

Anyone have any tips on filming fallow then please let me know!

cheers

Very interesting thread guys,thanks;

In my district of Lincolnshire i border the wolds and fens and i venture onto the open arable land quite often and the area has no woods or proper copses and yet Roe and Muntjac arent scarce and at times ive flushed them by accident from dykes/ditches and tall crops.As i said this part of "my" land has no cover as such yet home to a good resident population of these deer.

Went clay shooting yesterday about 10 minutes from me, as we were setting up a group of four roe were flushed from the hedgerow and took off across the field. Never seen deer in this area so it was a welcome sight. Althought the ex-keeper we were with told the group they were muntjac :icon_eek:

Does anybody know how far roe range, do they have small/large "territory"?

Seen a few out feeding today Surrey and Hants borders..........right by a sand quarry while the machines were working.........think the feckers knew that I had a broken dog in the back of the landy :laugh:

Wonder if there is many in the West Country?..........

Nice to know you have a few near Si :yes:

J