The Deer Thread..........

Just wondering what acreage the four I saw on Sunday would cover?

I would imagine it depends on how many bucks are in the area?...........are they not territorial?

The less bucks to fight, the bigger the territory maybe?

J

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what acreage the four I saw on Sunday would cover?

I would imagine it depends on how many bucks are in the area?...........are they not territorial?

The less bucks to fight, the bigger the territory maybe?

J

Sounds feesable to me Joe, perhaps somebody with more experience could answer us?

Does anybody know how far roe range, do they have small/large "territory"?

Seen a few out feeding today Surrey and Hants borders..........right by a sand quarry while the machines were working.........think the feckers knew that I had a broken dog in the back of the landy :laugh:

Wonder if there is many in the West Country?..........

Nice to know you have a few near Si :yes:

J

not an awfull lot in my patch of the westcountry seeing as im right on the water but still a good, solid number about. the ones that are around cause alot of damage to crops/gardens etc. do muntjacs make tunnels through undergrowth, crops etc? reason im asking is because my boxer has recently started diving off through these tunnels and not returning for 10-15 minutes, which wouldnt be much of a problem except that he never does that for fox trails, the terrier who is a fox-bushing expert doesnt seem very interested and when i follow them they just lead deeper and deeper into the thick woods, never coming to a set. muntjac? i think they have arrived in my stomping ground. should be good sport though, with a thoroughly satisfying meal afterwards. just for the record, i wont be coursing them, they will be shot with an adequately calibered rifle by a license holder.

lots of fallow more now than theres ever been round my way a fair few muntys been here about the last twenty years and they seem to be increasing a few roe which are more common now than ever the only deer that dont seem to have spread are the reds i only know of one wild herd all the others are on estates and seem to stay there the wild herd is no bigger now than it ever was although the stags seem to cover a fair distance the does are always in the same area. not seen any chineese water deer notts /derbyshire border

Does anybody know how far roe range, do they have small/large "territory"?

from what i have noticed they travel a few miles. I once seen a buck at night (and i recognised him due to the antler's, he was in the field, right next to the road)

a few weeks later, he was shot about 4 mile's away (there was no mistaking it wwas the same buck as the antler's were so distinct)

Edited by Rabbithunter

I hunt some land thats just got small copses on it and the roe there stay pretty much together and cover an area of about 5 square miles i can never guarantee where they are gonna be and see them all over this range i think if theres not much cover for em they are forced to range whereas the other bits i see roe on are all large woods and the deer there are more easy to predict in there feeding habbits depending on what crops are about

Guest The Big Fish

Guess i'm lucky to be living where i do, right on the edge of a deer infested forest ;)

Before we fenced the garden in (to stop the dogs doing their thing :tongue2: ) we used to get allsorts in the garden, very often you could see hair on the corners of the house where the deer would rub themselves against it to get rid of an itch or two :)

One of the first sgns i look for when entering a new area to hunt is marks on the floor ive seen spaces cleared about three feet souare just down a couple of inches i always see these where fallow are but cant be sure why they are made i dont think this is where they are laying more of some sort of marking that the stags are doing anyone shed any light on this as its baffled me for years

Edited by juckler123
  • 2 weeks later...
One of the first sgns i look for when entering a new area to hunt is marks on the floor ive seen spaces cleared about three feet souare just down a couple of inches i always see these where fallow are but cant be sure why they are made i dont think this is where they are laying more of some sort of marking that the stags are doing anyone shed any light on this as its baffled me for years

Hi, all deer , except CWD, make a small "seat" to lay in. they rake the ground with their front feet to clear any debris. they do this instinctively whether there is debris or not. a roe "seat" can be as much as 2 foot around and fallow 3 foot round. Deer often lay up under conifers and this is where i find most deer seats. they bed in the same areas too on a regular basis. :yes:

NB: this is not to be confused with the marks made when a male is in rut and marking the territory. :whistle:

Yeah JD so they are laying up places then im surrounded by conifer plantations and in areas that the deer dont use a lot usually these are the signs i usually see first and can more or less guarantee there will be the odd one about

ive just spent the last month going round all the woods near me and the fallow population is out of control i dont think anyones bothering them anymore what used to be runs are now motorways and the herd sizes have trebled in the last ten years they are expanding their territory like nobodys buisness theres a large gene pool around me as there was about fifteen different strains of fallow on different parks nearly all of which have gone now

ive also noticed with it not being so cold this year they havent grouped up like they used to and theres more smaller bunches about