how do i train a ferret to work

plenty time if its still a kit.let it grow up 1st become accoctomed to you and surroundings.When the time comes for it to work,just stay alert and quiet.Make sure you have plenty nets to cover all holes.if your scared of losing your ferret.Then buy a locator most guys on here wouldnt work without one.I had one but found it a pain in the arse.not lost one to date so alls good.good luck its great fun working those burrows.

My advice is to find somebody local to take you out and show the ropes, its much better to share a day out with someone, that can help and encourage you. It will prevent long term problems occurring due to lack of experience..

I am sure if you ask nicely on here, someone local to you would take you out.

It will take some time - usually to get familiar with the unfamiliar rabbit warren.

I used to look for small warrens/burrows with only three or four bolt holes to start a ferret off - that way it wont get lost , and it will see the light of day often - with large deep warrens , even experienced ferrets will get lost underground.

Slowly but surely is the name of the game to begin with - very easy to put off a young ferret by forcing it into a burrow.

I used to use a locator , i dont now.

I have never lost a ferret [only overnight]

Good Luck

I find that if you get them well handled coming out of tubes/tunnels etc. and get a good locator set you'll be sorted. Pop them down a warren and get them shifting rabbits into nets or whatever suits. The more you get them out the better they get :thumbs:

will some body help me out a little please im new to hunting and i need to know how to train my ferret to work.

what i do is when i handle them every day i put them down a pipe just for them to get used to it and then i take them working a day or wo later......

;)