How long would you

kane ......i remember someone else who did what you do .....

argued with every post

instructed people on where they are going wrong

had a opposing opinion to everyone on everything

your not a postman by any chance are you?

yis fellman

you were sussed out as a prick by everyone previously and well some things never change i guess :11:

and i have no need to engraciate myself with anyone ........

i stand by myself and have no need or want for other peoples favour.......

lthe people who know me either think i am a c**t or they like me matters not to me

you on the other hand are highly regarded by all and sundry :icon_eek::icon_eek:

so much so you had to change your name :) :11:

now then shall we leave it there please :signthankspin:

yis fellman

:laugh::laugh::laugh: you been delivering letters then tosser :laugh:

Edited by woodga

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie D
the hardest dog we have in the kennel curls up and goes to sleep when another dog is working and shows no interest untill he is let of the ead and collered up ... then whetever is below ground is in for a world of hurt ... so just because its screaming at the entrance of a dig it doesnt mean its ready to go .... to many people dont know how to read a dog and get the best out of it ... thats why so many people fail with their dogs ............

Very good comment socks.

Personally, I can keep a wild pup occupied in other ways rather than getting an unneccesary hiding or two, too early in his career just to keep him quiet. I don't put up with fighting of any sort in my kennel and hardly ever introduce adults into the pack, so they learn their place from puppyhood one way or another. Also I usually only have one dog in the team (although I have 2 young dogs coming up at the moment).

I've seen enough good, honest workers which are well behaved and quiet to know that I don't have to put up with screamers if I don't need to.

I have a 17month old russell bitch who has been pegged out last season, bit of bushing, run her through empty holes if she wanted, nothing else. She will be ready to start in September which will make her 20 months old and she's only just ready.

I have another russell bitch who's 11months, from the same mother who's at about the same stage mentally and who could probably start at the same time, making her ready at about 14 months, maybe I'll wait another couple of months for her....what's the hurry?

Very Good thread, above are my opinions only....

Stevie

Waiting too long would be frustrating for the dog and owner wouldn't it ?

Its all guess work at the end of the day,if your dog is doing somersaults on its tether at an earth it would seem fairly obvious to me it wants to have a go itself. :wacko:

On the other hand if you have a dog that shows very little interest when sat at an earth what do you do then ?

the hardest dog we have in the kennel curls up and goes to sleep when another dog is working and shows no interest untill he is let of the ead and collered up ... then whetever is below ground is in for a world of hurt :11: :11: :11: ... so just because its screaming at the entrance of a dig it doesnt mean its ready to go .... to many people dont know how to read a dog and get the best out of it ... thats why so many people fail with their dogs ............

I agree with you totally shag,but i'm on about when a terrier is ready to enter on its own as thats what the topic is about.Ive an 8 year old bitch that works well and has been since 14 months old but dont ever get revved up at an earth.

If your young charge wants to have a go and you think its ready then only you can decide when and how.Nobody knows what will happen, its guess work and if you get it right great,but its your call,your dog and your own experiences that will tell you when its ready.

i have to be honest this thread has produced some very good information, and some of the biggest pile of shit as well...only by spending time with your pups and knowing, how there parents work and more, i remember a great post/quote more or less by D .Harcombe,, the black (patt ) often ends up with people who bask in the early success of there pups only to be slagging off the dog/line a few months later because they over matched the dog,

The dog failed because of these people a terrier of any breed is still a pup at 2 years sometimes more, this does not mean it will not go, I've had 4-6 month old pups screaming to go to ground, most with any sense would say to you to young , would they say the same at 14 months 18 ext ..know your dogs know yourself, some people make the dog pay for making a fool of them LOL..if your out smarted by a terrier get your self a hamster and fingers crossed...sometimes its not just when you start them its how and where.........we live in a world of fast food, fast cars, fast drugs, every thing ready yesterday ....well these dogs are from yesterday from a different time ....they need time .....A f*****g Men ...lol

Edited by pickaxe
i have to be honest this thread has produced some very good information, and some of the biggest pile of shit as well...only by spending time with your pups and knowing, how there parents work and more, i remember a great post/quote more or less by D .Harcombe,, the black (patt ) often ends up with people who bask in the early success of there pups only to be slagging off the dog/line a few months later because they over matched the dog,

The dog failed because of these people a terrier of any breed is still a pup at 2 years sometimes more, this does not mean it will not go, I've had 4-6 month old pups screaming to go to ground, most with any sense would say to you to young , would they say the same at 14 months 18 ext ..know your dogs know yourself, some people make the dog pay for making a fool of them LOL..if your out smarted by a terrier get your self a hamster and fingers crossed...sometimes its not just when you start them its how and where.........we live in a world of fast food, fast cars, fast drugs, every thing ready yesterday ....well these dogs are from yesterday from a different time ....they need time .....A f*****g Men ...lol

Well feckin said pickaxe it's like listening to a bunch of old grannies on here a times.

NPP All the way

Good post mate -

Someone said if its in them ,then waiting will do them no harm but the opposite is true as well.You just have to know your stock and know how to nuture the younster.Starting a pup at any later than 2 years old would you still treat it with care or regard it as a adult and expect the same from it as others of the same age ,but working steady .?.There are no hard and fast rules in dog work and the day we all agree will be a sad day .

Good post mate -

Someone said if its in them ,then waiting will do them no harm but the opposite is true as well.You just have to know your stock and know how to nuture the younster.Starting a pup at any later than 2 years old would you still treat it with care or regard it as a adult and expect the same from it as others of the same age ,but working steady .?.There are no hard and fast rules in dog work and the day we all agree will be a sad day .

no matter how old the dog is when it starts work you still have to enter it correctly and not rush in .... that said if they are fully mature both physically and mentally then they should enter a little more quickly than a youngster

Guest grubygrafter

:clapper::clapper::clapper: @ pickaxe

the very nature of the patts and similar breeds are often there downfall. as this is what attracts the wrong type of owners.

people with no patience and people that want a hard dog often enter to early and waste the dogs. sometimes the dog thrives and becomes a goodun. dispite the owner not becouse of the owner

and is then worked over hard and to often. they are worked sore and often dont get enough time to heal.

brian nuttal did'nt help with [ if they dont go at nine they'll go at twelve] imo.

they did start at that age often only to throw the towel a year or to later

these little dogs are a victim of there own success

Lots of good posts on this thread. You can see those that have been around terriers and know the score.

and hem that dont :good:

Hold up lads,I wouldnt be so quick to jump to any conclusions just based on a few words typed on a key board.Its intresting to hear different views and methods of entering and these forums can give you a break from the monotony of either work or the hot weather.But thats about it unless you have actualy dug with a few of the lads on here on more than a few occasions it would be difficult if not impossable to tell the wheat from the chaff.JMO. There is a whole series of books out there at one time heralded as the bees knees,now as the trueth has slowly got out most lads have disscounted them.Ive been told we have better more genuine book writers presently but I coulnt swear on it :11:

Hopefully Ime working my way up the chaff pile :11: :11:

Guest mucker

:D kane i cant talk dogs n write posts i havent done enough to be honest which is why im on the site i dont know about anybody else :D

but i have a great respect for folk that stand by what they feel even if it goes against the grain like yerself and others,always interested in what you have to say.

so i agree the thread would have died in no time if it wasnt for the difference of opinions they make the best threads.

i was just referring to the folk you get that seem to jump in and mirror what someone else said and you get the feeling its not from any real expereince.

i shouldnt have said owt but it sends one daft :D

Some of things you hear over here about young terriers working, is just out of this world...the least said about it, the better!..lol.

IMO, the terrier lads over here get some stick from you 'orrible lot back home...ive been out with people over here that are the equal to any dog people back home...of course there are pricks over here..just like back home..lol...but there are some very, very good dog men over here, some i would rate very highly.

As for Kane..lol.. :rolleyes: ...he's just a naughty boy that cant wait to get out with his dogs this season!.. :good:

Kye,..

I think that if you know your dogs well and you spend time with them you'll be able to judge when the moment is to start working them.I think it's important that they are fully grown and well trained in bushing or other lighter sports.

Lots of good posts on this thread. You can see those that have been around terriers and know the score.

TJ.....

We hear a lot about entering dogs early over the pond . I've read recently of people expecting them to show their mettle at 5 months old , to me that is pure lunacy . Also read on numerous occasions a certain aquaintance :whistle: :ph34r: of yours boastfully saying how 5 and 6 month old pups from a certain "strain" have 1 -2 hour digs under their belts .

I'd be interested to hear your view on this mindset many have over there . And also what age do you yourself consider the dogs you keep to be mentally ready for the job in hand ?.

Those that work their dogs at 5 months don't have the type of dogs that work game, but only the type that let you know something is at home. They will be unmarked when the ordeal is over and they will be unmarked at 15 months when the ordeal is over as well. They can get away with it and no worries.

The story you read about from a certain aquaintance was when his 3 month old dog slipped into a very shallow sett baying at game that one should not consider ligitimate digging game. It took near an hour to find and dig through roots to a terrier that had not been on the game. As Pickaxe and others have stated, you can get these full of "vinegar types" that need handled diffferently. That certain terrier was entered at 10 months and did a good job and never looked back.

With our kind of quarry, I get them out between 10 to 12 months. I build there confidence with easy digs and go from there. We are not any different then you guys when it comes to dogs and how to handle them. As someone always points out, it is a little common sense.