Ferrets and Salt?

I gave a ferret to a friend and I told him to read up [bANNED TEXT] I gave it to him and he did but not enoghf. Anyway on the 3rd day he gave it a chocolate chip off a muffin. what an idiot then sprayed the cage with lynx. If anything led goes wrong I'm going to get my ferret back

I would get your ferret back mate, while theres still one to have.

atb

Edited by lapin2008

I gave a ferret to a friend and I told him to read up [bANNED TEXT] I gave it to him and he did but not enoghf. Anyway on the 3rd day he gave it a chocolate chip off a muffin. what an idiot then sprayed the cage with lynx. If anything led goes wrong I'm going to get my ferret back

I would get your ferret back mate, while theres still one to have.

atb

i was about to say that

then sprayed the cage with lynx.

which is why Im always wearey of who I give/sell ferrets too, especially youngsters, if they are under 18, they need to bring a parent with them, get the fert back, and have a bit more consideration for the ferret, next time you re home them..... oh and tell your mate from me he's a no1 PLONKER :doh:

On the subject of feeding ferrets i have a mate who has kept them for over 60 years hes know 70 and works them 3 or 4 days a week and at any one time he will have about 20 ferrets in the courts and he will feed his ferrets anything he can lay his hands on iv seen allsorts in the cages over the years from cows to sheep and even peacocks BUT he will not feed freash water fish as he says as a boy he was told by his dad never feed that to the ferrets but salt water fish is ok he doesnt remember why .so has anybody else got any ideals if this is just a old wives tail or is there a reason behind it ????..

his ferrets do look very good when he feeds the fish for a few days but that must be the oils etc

On the subject of feeding ferrets i have a mate who has kept them for over 60 years hes know 70 and works them 3 or 4 days a week and at any one time he will have about 20 ferrets in the courts and he will feed his ferrets anything he can lay his hands on iv seen allsorts in the cages over the years from cows to sheep and even peacocks BUT he will not feed freash water fish as he says as a boy he was told by his dad never feed that to the ferrets but salt water fish is ok he doesnt remember why .so has anybody else got any ideals if this is just a old wives tail or is there a reason behind it ????..

his ferrets do look very good when he feeds the fish for a few days but that must be the oils etc

I have not heard of this before but that doesn't mean much really. I can't see why this would be the case but it sounds like there are lots of old wives tales like these. Its funny how these things spread though as I know that I have told people not to feed them salt in the past and they have probably taken that as gospel as well.

I was thinking about sardines yarn that i originally posted about in the context in which it was supposed to have happened. (this was around the time of WW2 in occupied france.)

Although back then rabbits as a food source were much more valuable then they are now. I can't imagine that anyone would waste perfectly good sardines (would have also been valuable I imagine) just on the off chance they could poison someones ferrets and save themeslves a couple of rabbits.

atb

QUOTE (stubby @ May 7 2009, 07:52 PM)

confussing as most farmers I know use salt blocks with their livestock, I too have small animal salt blocks hanging in the court, which Is used, and never had a fert die on me

Salt licks are made up of minerals and salts, things like zinc and phosphorus (ie. not only the Sodium Chloride that we put on our food.) I don't know about how salt effects ferret health, but it gets a lot of bad press. Salts are essential componants of mammalian diets (not sure about other animal groups, but think vital for most life, plants, etc.). This is why electrolytes (salts disolved in water) are administered to sick people/animals and athletes who are either having trouble absorbing salts, eg. dirrohea or excessive loss eg. sweating.

Humans and animals have evolved to like salt, because it is important, but we've been able to refine it down to the tasty stuff and now have too much on everything, causing problems.

I'd have thought that if ferrets get a varied animal diet, they prob wouldn't need too much as I think its correct that animals~bone/blood/etc. is one of the best sources of minerals anyway. I'll have a look over the weekend to see if much has been done about ferrets and salt.

Well i would get the ferret back if he is doing stupid things like spraying lynx in the cage

Too right man...get that ferret back! Just seems too cruel and insensitive! And hes more than a no1 plonker and can assure ya!! :angry:

FM

Go and take the poor animal back as it wont survive long with crap like that happening.What possesed him to spray lynx in the cage?Why feed a ferret chocolate when its poisonous to dogs?I would have thought its pretty obvious not to do those things even my kids wouldnt do summit as daft lol.I think you need to go get this poor ferret while the things still alive