Have you even thought of using a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They breed to track large game in south africa. They have great tracking instinct. They are a powerful breed so no problem if they come across only and injured deer. They clever and learn well. They can be hard to train as they are a dominant breed but loyal and willing to follow 'pack leader'. I don't know of any working lines in this country but from what i know the breed hasn't had too much of it's original blood lines lost.

Just wanted to throw that one in there. Does anyone use this breed at present?

Damo

bullxgreyhound :thumbs:;)

ile second that mine tracks deer really well for some reason i havnt trained it to do it it just puts his nose down and gets it. it tracked a buck the other night that went about 70 yards into thick rodedendrens i would have never found it. its also good as stated above can handle itself if the deer is wounded 2 birds 1 stone :whistling::whistling:

Guest MickyB

ile second that mine tracks deer really well for some reason i havnt trained it to do it it just puts his nose down and gets it. it tracked a buck the other night that went about 70 yards into thick rodedendrens i would have never found it. its also good as stated above can handle itself if the deer is wounded 2 birds 1 stone :whistling::whistling:

Just got to point this out, in case there are inexperienced readers taking this bull/grey stuff seriously....they are NOT a dog for the deer stalker with rifle. Leave the lurchers for their intended use of being a sighthound/running dog :thumbs:

As you've got a Spanial already, there's not much use getting another specifically for deer trailing, either use your existing dog and incorperate blood trailing into it's training, or just as a thought..... speak to Remmy and buy the missus a nice little lap dog!!! (Teckel) She'll love it and you'll get yourself a perfect stalking companion.

As stated by others, most working breeds can trail a blood scent, so it's more a case of narrowing your search down using Size, biddability, whether you want it to voice or not etc. etc.

Found this little video, there's a few vids to choose from but from such a young pup it's pretty impressive.

http://www.videoplayer.hu/videos/play/226537

All the best with your decision mate :good:

Cheers

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff

Just got to point this out, in case there are inexperienced readers taking this bull/grey stuff seriously....they are NOT a dog for the deer stalker with rifle. Leave the lurchers for their intended use of being a sighthound/running dog :thumbs:

The people posting the bull x crap are basically daft anyway Micky, why post this on a shooting forum...you can lead a horse to water :censored: