most any dog w/a descent nose will do. how do you plan to work the dog. on leash or free cast?

if on leash you need a dog that takes obedience training well. if free cast it needs to be able to handle itself if the deer is only wounded and fights back.

ETA

most leashed dogs in the states are teckels & labs w/ a scattering of beagles, curs and scenthounds.

most free cast are curs, beagles & deer bred foxhounds

Edited by Pops
Guest MickyB

Im guessing you will be stalking with a rifle and want the dog to accompany you either walking at heal or on a lead. The list of breeds that could fill this role is huge, and in my opinion is down to personal preferance.

Size comes into it for me, and personally I wouldnt want a big dog with me, I use spaniel/terrier cross when stalking, but I would say a teckle, or beagle cross would suit me just aswell. I like a dog with a bit of a voice, this obvious advantages if working in dense cover/plantations. The gundog breeds will make decent deer finders for sure, ive seen good spaniels, labs, german pointers and vislas, but they will not have the voice.

Im guessing you will be stalking with a rifle and want the dog to accompany you either walking at heal or on a lead. The list of breeds that could fill this role is huge, and in my opinion is down to personal preferance.

Size comes into it for me, and personally I wouldnt want a big dog with me, I use spaniel/terrier cross when stalking, but I would say a teckle, or beagle cross would suit me just aswell. I like a dog with a bit of a voice, this obvious advantages if working in dense cover/plantations. The gundog breeds will make decent deer finders for sure, ive seen good spaniels, labs, german pointers and vislas, but they will not have the voice.

I would be stalking with a rifle and the dog to heal.I could pick up a lab no problem but can see the advantage of a beagle or teckle.

Looks like there are a few breeds will do the job.Good working lines more important?

Lol wether the deer is fallen or not get a couple ov bull greyhounds onto it.There best fings iv seen for deer! :clapper:

Why how many other types have you seen on a deer, bullgreyhound?? Just wondering, not staring trouble as i have 1 my self but my saluki and beddlington x is far better on the deer trial...