colliexgrayhound

Guest shaneo

at the end of the day each to there own and every different breed of lurcher will exell on the type of terrain that suits them best and all of them have there bad and good habbits some more than others atb :thumbs:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a lurcher should work all ground no terrain should stop a dog from working all my dogs can work on this land and i wouldnt keepa dog in my kennel that couldnt work all terrain   ps we would all love

Posted Images

i had collie wippet greyhound bout 6 years ago i had it since it was 5 when it was bout 8 it stoped running rabbits close to edges and if it was on a run when the rabbit got close to cover it would stop but ime not shaw if its just in collie crosses. :hmm:

it,s the dog useing it head all lurcher x will do the same thing not just collie x bub atb

keano ;)

Wrong wrong wrong keano. all lurcherx dont pull up. ive got 2 bitches here that will try thier hearts out no matter what the quarry and no matter how far away it is. imo its usually the "too bright for its own good" collie x that does this. Ive owned them and got rid of them. any dog that pulls up is of no use to me. atb stabba

well stabba i have a beardie cross he just hit 2 years and he wont run what he can't catch although the land i run is mainly quarry land so he realises he cant catch rabbits which are sat on sets on embankments which is a plus side to me as i dont have worries over injurys i coulldnt take a dog with no brains onto this land as it would end up brown bread the same dog on different land will catch a good run to kill ratio without running every rabbit he see's within 500 yards :victory:

? how does he know he cant catch it if he doesnt run it. atb stabba.

well stabba would you want a 100mph dog on quarry land or fell land where there are hidden dangers i no i wouldn't entertain a dog with no running sence i hate been out with other peoples dogs when you see a rabbit 500 yards away and the dog gives chase does that dog catch many does it hell i no my dog will take ten times as many rabbits than these dogs just by simple nose and brain work :victory: Edited by SMART DOG
Guest RAB.MCKAY
i had collie wippet greyhound bout 6 years ago i had it since it was 5 when it was bout 8 it stoped running rabbits close to edges and if it was on a run when the rabbit got close to cover it would stop but ime not shaw if its just in collie crosses. :hmm:

it,s the dog useing it head all lurcher x will do the same thing not just collie x bub atb

keano ;)

Wrong wrong wrong keano. all lurcherx dont pull up. ive got 2 bitches here that will try thier hearts out no matter what the quarry and no matter how far away it is. imo its usually the "too bright for its own good" collie x that does this. Ive owned them and got rid of them. any dog that pulls up is of no use to me. atb stabba

well stabba i have a beardie cross he just hit 2 years and he wont run what he can't catch although the land i run is mainly quarry land so he realises he cant catch rabbits which are sat on sets on embankments which is a plus side to me as i dont have worries over injurys i coulldnt take a dog with no brains onto this land as it would end up brown bread the same dog on different land will catch a good run to kill ratio without running every rabbit he see's within 500 yards :victory:

a dog should run [bANNED TEXT] slipet wat ive seen ,is dog chaseing ,then pulling up be fore rabbit hits headge

Im sorry mate. Most of my replies have been on lamping. Day time work is a totally different kettle of fish. You are correct in that a dog needs to be steady and level headed to work day time bunnies. although on land such as yours a dog would soon learn to steady down or quiet simply end up crippled or worse. ive worked my bitches in places like that and they soon adapt to there surroundings. they are no less keen but set about there work with a bit more stealth should we say. I and my girls take work where we can find it and for bullxes they shine at everything i have thrown at them. Except ferrets lol.atb stabba

Guest RAB.MCKAY
couple of my mates told me that collie crosses will get too clever when they get older and will stop running stuff thats too far away or in a edge can anyone tell me what they think

i got one at 11 the now and never let me down on all quarry day & night so tell you mates to do there homework atb

keano ;)

I GOT A 15 YEAR OLD HANCOCK DOG HAD HIM SINCE HE WAS 18 MONTHS AND HE'S THE SAME,HE WOULD STILL GO NOW IF I LET HIM

fair play to u . u have one in a million

Guest shaneo

well mate i can understand were your coming from cos i no i wouldent run my dog on routh ground quaries etc cos he will have a go at everything no matter where the quarry is and its a high risk he will feck himself up and stabba i understand that dogs that haull up or wont chase quarry in some circumstances are rubbish cos i wouldent own one but would you run your bull xs on routh ground where they got a bigger chance of getting put out of action for the season or even worse for good so think of it that way and the collie crosses or dogs that dont run there quarry in some cercumstances are not rubbish to people who work that terrain maybe ime wrong but that seems reasonable to me like i said each to there own atb :thumbs:

Guest RAB.MCKAY
ok then keano. how many times have your dogs caught tackle what you thought they should never have caught. My dogs do this regular. if i had a colliex that thought "oh fcuk that its too far away, or in the hedge bottom" i know for a fact that my end of the nite tally would be a damn site lighter. I do not wish injurys on my dogs either through stupidness on my part or through sheer tenacity on there part. my dogs are run and run hard. if they were injury prone or not up to the job in hand then quiet simply they wouldnt be in my kennels. atb stabba

well said

Guest RAB.MCKAY
The question was he had heard that collie x's start to pick their runs and pull up as they get older and the answer i would have given would be that Some may for whatever reason too much work or too many misses but this is not confined solely to collie x's all breeds will do this in the same circumstances.

I work collie x's and one of them has hurt himself often by following rabbits into cover or striking near hedges and i have a hancock bred bitch which would run through a brick wall to get a rabbit so in MY humble opinion to generalise coolie x's in this way is nonsense.

ask 100 people who have ran collie x and bull x dogs .

what would they pre fer the result will speak for its self

well mate i can understand were your coming from cos i no i wouldent run my dog on routh ground quaries etc cos he will have a go at everything no matter where the quarry is and its a high risk he will feck himself up and stabba i understand that dogs that haull up or wont chase quarry in some circumstances are rubbish cos i wouldent own one but would you run your bull xs on routh ground where they got a bigger chance of getting put out of action for the season or even worse for good so think of it that way and the collie crosses or dogs that dont run there quarry in some cercumstances are not rubbish to people who work that terrain maybe ime wrong but that seems reasonable to me like i said each to there own atb :thumbs:
Shaneo mate. You would not believe some of the ground my girls and i have to work on. some of it would even make a mountain goat think twice. Good feet, good heart and a good head are what is requierd to be in my kennels. If my standards seem a little high to some people then im sorry but my dogs love there work and would die for me if need be. Any thing less is just that. Less is not something i want in my kennels. atb stabba
The question was he had heard that collie x's start to pick their runs and pull up as they get older and the answer i would have given would be that Some may for whatever reason too much work or too many misses but this is not confined solely to collie x's all breeds will do this in the same circumstances.

I work collie x's and one of them has hurt himself often by following rabbits into cover or striking near hedges and i have a hancock bred bitch which would run through a brick wall to get a rabbit so in MY humble opinion to generalise coolie x's in this way is nonsense.

ask 100 people who have ran collie x and bull x dogs .

what would they pre fer the result will speak for its self

then a lot of lurcher men would not prefer any of them.atvb
Im sorry mate. Most of my replies have been on lamping. Day time work is a totally different kettle of fish. You are correct in that a dog needs to be steady and level headed to work day time bunnies. although on land such as yours a dog would soon learn to steady down or quiet simply end up crippled or worse. ive worked my bitches in places like that and they soon adapt to there surroundings. they are no less keen but set about there work with a bit more stealth should we say. I and my girls take work where we can find it and for bullxes they shine at everything i have thrown at them. Except ferrets lol.atb stabba
Run a bull cross on this land then tell me how much your vet bills are

post-33050-1241394301_thumb.jpg

and thats nothing against bull crosses as i believe it horses for coarses but this land aint for a bully :victory:

Guest RAB.MCKAY

and thats nothing against bull crosses as i believe it horses for coarses but this land aint for a bully :victory:

your fking nuts you shouldnt run a dog ther

your fking nuts you shouldnt run a dog ther

my dog excells on this ground he has never had one injury due to the ground he runs upon i couldn't have a dog with no running sense or bad feet which is why i opted for the beardie cross

I live in a mining community. My bitches get excercised nearly every day on the old slag heaps left behind. Rabbits and hares are in abbundance here. I think a dog that has never been on this type of land would require huge vet bills. although mine grew up on land such as this so can cope very well. Sure there are scrapes and suchlike but ive never had a serious lay off through it. atb stabba