Patterdale Terriers and the UK Kennel Club

Should the breed be recognised by this organisation?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Should the breed be recognised by the UK Kennel Club?

• Yes - it can only help the breed
    • No - leave the breed alone. There are many variations of this Breed.
    • Dunno - who are the UK Kennel Club?
    • Don't care!

Guest SJM

I didnt bother voting as its never gonna happen IMO. The KC will only consider adding new breeds when they have some kind of existing registry system in place, for foreign breeds this is usually the FCI, new breeds or foreign ones have to show well documented pedigrees and have a breed standard, which is then submitted to the Kc and if accepted they go on the import register. It can take years for a breed to come off the import register and be accepted onto the main one. Since there is no registration body for patterdales and they are (or should be) bred primarily for work, it would appear nobody desires them to be a kc registered breed anyway :thumbs:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SJM, don't you be too certain. Where do you think that petition came from?

There are alot of pet owners out there who wuv their ickle baby Patterdale who would love to see the poor blighters conform to all the UK Kennel Club have to offer, ie breed standard, recognition and thus status for dog-owners to whom this kind of thing is important. To many it is not about breedlines or workability but the showing world and all the glitz that has to offer.

Not everyone hunts or works with theirs - a lot are pets and only that with a huge fluffy bunny fan club.

Edited by Pignut
Guest busterdog
i couldn't give a **** really it wont be hurting me or mine,

id like to see the back of the kc as much as the next but can some one tell me how the kennel club will screw up these black dogs?????i mean our dogs?.

collectively if we had half the integrity we spout regarding working dogs sorting mates out ,,free pups etc etc there shouldn't be a problem for us.

Mate if we all spoke the truth it would be an easy world, the reason you shouldn't let them get there hands on our hard work is pound notes !!. The first time you breed for profit its all tits up wards from then on in.

The reasons for giving our wards to tried and tested people as you no is to get them tried and tested,if enough people don't do this then who no's what you are breeding :thumbdown: .

I do agree with what your saying but not everyone will, pounds will always come first and if there isn't enough of the wright blood out there then we will soon come to a point were can't go any further with that particular line. :no:

Edited by busterdog
Guest Chip

I still dont think it will hurt us any,as long as there are holes to be dug and genuine folk there,ll be earth dogs in the same way there are track greyhounds and ped greyhounds.

them kc will end up with some seperate species that,ll probably end up looking like pugs in time :D .

where do you think the working lakeland would be today had the black dogs not emerged?? do you think it would be in the same position regardless??just asking.

Guest busterdog
I still dont think it will hurt us any,as long as there are holes to be dug and genuine folk there,ll be earth dogs in the same way there are track greyhounds and ped greyhounds.

them kc will end up with some seperate species that,ll probably end up looking like pugs in time :D .

where do you think the working lakeland would be today had the black dogs not emerged?? do you think it would be in the same position regardless??just asking.

In know what youre saying and totaly agree :good:

why are they called patterdales and who gave them that name? are,nt they all black fells? patterdale is a place, not a person and what have the kc got to do with it, some one chuck some light on please,WHO INVENTED PATTERDALES, or was my irish mate pat o"dell, been a terrier man for longer than i care to think about and i still dont get it, :boredom:

I didnt bother voting as its never gonna happen IMO. The KC will only consider adding new breeds when they have some kind of existing registry system in place, for foreign breeds this is usually the FCI, new breeds or foreign ones have to show well documented pedigrees and have a breed standard, which is then submitted to the Kc and if accepted they go on the import register. It can take years for a breed to come off the import register and be accepted onto the main one. Since there is no registration body for patterdales and they are (or should be) bred primarily for work, it would appear nobody desires them to be a kc registered breed anyway :thumbs:

The Patterdale does have written standard(s) and it is registerable in the US and in some European countries in the FCI.

I also hope they will leave Patterdales alone. Though I must admit, the German Hunt Terrier is recognised quite long ago and it is still solely a working breed.

Just IMO,

Anna

The Patterdale does have written standard(s) and it is registerable in the US and in some European countries in the FCI.

I also hope they will leave Patterdales alone. Though I must admit, the German Hunt Terrier is recognised quite long ago and it is still solely a working breed.

Just IMO,

Anna

still dont answer my question, its only a type not a breed, they are black fells and have black fell history.

Just IMO,

Anna

still dont answer my question, its only a type not a breed, they are black fells and have black fell history.

you been readin too many books! how many patts. you had? as for k.c. r u takin the piss or what?