True Molly, dogs can and do survive some shocking injuries :victory: I guess it depends a lot on whether you have company with you when your out hunting, people who can help share the weight of carrying an injured dog back to safety, that can make all the difference. I had to carry an injured dog one night out lamping and he weighed a ton :icon_eek: I eventually had to leave him in some bushes about a mile from home, I just couldnt go any further my arms were killing me, I have plenty of lower body strength, for walking etc, but upper body strength has never been my forte, the dog had gone rigid and wasnt moving so I decided the best plan was to use my remaining energy to run the rest of the distance home to fetch help (I didnt have any transport at the time) The dog did survive but was never the same again and couldnt be worked, so I often think back to that night and wonder if I did do the right thing, perhaps I could have prevented a lot of suffering by making a different choice? Its easy to say things in hindsight though, but I know now from experience that when your out hunting alone in wild remote places, like the ones I often hunt, anything can happen and always have it in the back of your mind what you would do in these scenarios so your prepared mentally if nothing else :thumbs:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with some women, not all I hasten to add, is that they dont think through the consequences of taking on a sport which can incur some horrific injuries. If you cant deal with the idea of having to perhaps cut your dog down with a knife when it hangs itself on a barb wire fence so badly you cant get it off any other way, or carry it several miles to your car when it smashes a leg or takes a fit, or worse still put an end to it there and then in the field if its injuries are so severe its suffering and dying and wont make it back to the motor, or to the vets. Ask yourself honestly ladies can you do these things? have you even thought about them and how you would react if they happened? if you cant then you shouldnt be out hunting with dogs as theres every chance you might have to deal with a situation like this at some point and you owe it to your working dogs to do right by them :victory:

I never really thought about any of these things I have to admit ... but with the passage of time, learning and seeing more and more, I've realised that these are issues that have to be considered.

Personally, being a Mum to three kids, I can honestly say there isn't much I CAN'T cope with. Should I ever be faced with any of those senarios I'm confident I could cope. Losing one lurcher to a train accident and having to scoop his broken body and intestines into a recycling bin was enough to properly open my eyes.

It's not for the faint hearted, this lark .... male or female.

It is easy to say what you'd do until it happens. Like culling dogs, it is easy for some to talk about doing it, but when the time comes it is a different story. It was for me!

Like lurchergrrrl (but I'm a mom of 2 not 3), I would LIKE to think that I could handle everything with a cool head. But I can remember the first time my son split his head open when he was a darling little 4 year old (where do the years go?). I took him to the doctors, they were holding him down trying to stitch him and he was screaming "Mommy, I thought you loved me! Mommy help me! Mommy!" at the top of his lungs ... I had seen blood, guts etc and stitched/stapled my fair number of dogs and horses up, and had never been bothered before. But with the combination of my dear son screaming and I guess the blood spurting everywhere, I almost passed out, I just couldn't breathe. Go to plan B. Head between my knees and call my dad to come down and be with me :) But even since then anytime the dogs get injured I have been clear headed and never repeated my almost breakdown as a young mom. But then dogs are NOT kids, the feelings are completely different.

IMO if you are panicking over a not-yet-happened scratch from barbed wire, just save yourself the time and wrap the dog in cotton wool now and keep it in the house. Then it will be safe and sound from all harm :blink:

Edited by His Wife
But then dogs are NOT kids, the feelings are completely different.

Well, well said! Same sorta thing - sick child but only 1, watching the nurses poking him repeatedly while he screamed and writhed ... trying to get a vein for an IV cause his blood sugers had crased. The horror of it.

I've worked as a vet nurse, and seen my share of guts and gore. First time panic, second time a bit wiser (sadly).

i dont know what i do but i would prefer to avoid all potential barb wire injuries as the fencing round here is apauling in places, so as i said before would rather go home with no bunnys in the bag then having to carry my dog home and her working carrier ruined, there are many MEN yes MEN on here who dont jump there dogs......may be iam to soft in some peoples opinion but i know many men who get just as upset as any women when somthing happens to there dog...this dog is my life and is like a child to me, they come before everything, even the boyfriend but luckily he understands having a terrier himself

shes had injurys before, one of which she is still a bit stiff from and when she did that i wasnt that bothered as she wasnt in too much pain

• 3 months later...
if you work dogs you have to expect that one day they will get injured! its inevitable!! If you cant handle the thought of that maybe your in the wrong game sweetheart. This is why women shouldnt work dogs i tell thy :wallbash::wallbash:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: women and working dogs like chalk and cheese :D:clapper:

yer right ok !!! dont judge us all :wallbash:

i have nothing against women hunters at all, but they come on here not all of them try to put sexy little pics of them selves with abbit of clevage and want to be given the same respect as, they winge about silly little things like there dog puts it back feet on the fence most young dogs do it when learning some dogs get cut some don't thats part of the working life. if they want a cute sighthound get a italion greyhound there for proper hunters oops!!

go f**k yourself!!! :censored:

some women are the most solid hunters you will ever find , dont judge all by the minority , i personaly pride myself in helping the young and inexperienced and im a girly girl when i choose to be but on the field i work my dogs as hard if not harder than most of the men i know , i respect what you are saying about the dog jumping etc as she does need to know the risks and what can happen in reality , but do not judge me by others !! as for italian greyhounds , i was rejected by the club because i do what they were originally bred to do , work!!! and shock fukking horror i also kc show them , often being thrown out by judge for being too muscled"" so dont tell me i dont do as much as others , i stand by my principles and my values on working dogs :tongue2:

Bloody hell that told him :clapper::clapper::clapper:

i think it is fair to say there is good and bad people of both sexes which work dogs so trying to say women shouldnt be working them i think your way out of order there are loads of bad dog owners on this site and they aint hard to find :victory:

it's good to see women getting out there working there dogs to be onest. but you got to admit theres no room for weekness when it comes to owning real working lurchers

totally forgot about this post, spot on fence hopper! women should just stay home the nearest they should get to any game is cooking it!!!

if you work dogs you have to expect that one day they will get injured! its inevitable!! If you cant handle the thought of that maybe your in the wrong game sweetheart. This is why women shouldnt work dogs i tell thy :wallbash::wallbash:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: women and working dogs like chalk and cheese :D:clapper:

yer right ok !!! dont judge us all :wallbash:

i have nothing against women hunters at all, but they come on here not all of them try to put sexy little pics of them selves with abbit of clevage and want to be given the same respect as, they winge about silly little things like there dog puts it back feet on the fence most young dogs do it when learning some dogs get cut some don't thats part of the working life. if they want a cute sighthound get a italion greyhound there for proper hunters oops!!

thats another good point made, you women coming on here putting what you think are sexy photos up of your selves (which by the way two of you women who have posted on this thread have done, you know who you are) its not a f*****g dating/escourt site! wasnt till i said something that they changed the photo. wasnt a pretty sight at all either :sick: put me right off me food. go to some avon parties or something and leave the bloke stuff to the blokes!! even if you do look like one :whistling::feck: