subsonic 22.250

is it possible to homeload subsonic rounds for a 22.250?and if you can are they any good.

If you make Home Brews you can do very nearly whatever you want, but what makes you ask specifically about a 22-250 sub, why not a .223 or .243, etc, etc ...seems a slightly strange question and, the resultant cartridge would only have a very limited use. "Are they any good" ......at doing what???

The primary purpose of a 22-250 is to fly fast and flat and hit hard...that doesn't happen in a sub version!

Edited by Deker

Chances are he has a .22-250 and wants to make some subs for it? :icon_redface:

You can load subsonic in most rounds, but safety can be an issue. You need to load a fast pistol powder in low quantities, but don't just estimate, get some good advice first.

Accuracy can be fairly reasonable. Try to use short bullets as they will be stable at lower revolutions than long ones (slower velocity means slower spin from the rifling).

A few years ago a writer who worked for :Gun Mart:called Bruce Potts ran some tests on sub sonic ammo but I believe it was in .308 cal,the cases he used could only be loaded with a small quantity of powder,the inside of the case was solid

brass and were probably specially made.

The british army conducted tests with a moderated Accuracy International using sub sonic ammunition a few years previous and I suspect that it would have been in .308 cal,the reports were that it was good out to 300yards.

As NJC110381 said you will have to try and get someone who has experience of loading sub sonic ammunition do not try it on your own there is very little margin for error, and it can be dangerous,Bruce Potts may have carried out tests on a 22-250 so try the Gun Mart website,they may be able to put you in touch with him,good luck.

thanks for the replies ,the reseason i asked was simply if im out stalking and had a blank session i might easily turn to a few rabbits without needing to have the .22 with me as well.and the 22.250 even moderated could scare off every thing around.

No it won't, just blat them with 22-250 proper ammo.

I have a 204, which is definitely quieter than the 22-250, but once moderated not by that much. I was out with Deker the other day, there was a line of bunny rabbits out, I went down the line and knocked over 5 in one string, they weren't really bothered by the noise.

pointless imo mate. 22/250 needs to be pushed fast and hard. thats what makes it a 22/250.

if you want to use subs shoot a 22lr :D the rabbits wont be scared of the noise of the 22/250. dont forget its loud at the rifle. but popping rabbits off over a couple 100 yards away they wont no whats hit them ;)