keeping working dogs in or out ?

Guest TERRIERCENTRAL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lurchers n lamps
my dog is kept indoors, sleeps on the bed, comes to work with me and then goes out hunting with me. always by my side. makes for a strong bond i think. hes not soft either before ppl say it, he will run through anything lol

completly agree my dog is asleep on my bed just now but take him out side and he gose in to cold blooded killer mode lol

Guest Catcher
my dog is kept indoors, sleeps on the bed, comes to work with me and then goes out hunting with me. always by my side. makes for a strong bond i think. hes not soft either before ppl say it, he will run through anything lol

completly agree my dog is asleep on my bed just now but take him out side and he gose in to cold blooded killer mode lol

Hi mate just put heater in the kennel.atb.catcher

all my dogs are house trained as pups then all kenneled as soon as there old enough to old there own in the kennel,

but all my dogs stay outside from then on unless they are layed up ,i think this just helps the family to see the differance

between a working dog and a pet, has many of you on here will know how easy it is to lose a dog while out working it.atb

Guest Catcher
all my dogs are house trained as pups then all kenneled as soon as there old enough to old there own in the kennel,

but all my dogs stay outside from then on unless they are layed up ,i think this just helps the family to see the differance

between a working dog and a pet, has many of you on here will know how easy it is to lose a dog while out working it.atb

You must have a good wife. :clapper: atb. catcher

mine are always with me in the house in the van at work etc.you get to know them better and bond stronger.they dont get in the way when indoors unless you live in a bed sit!! if you want the sofa tell them to get off?

if they are indoors you can stop them getting nicked and they can warn you of scum trying to get in.

i know a keeper that has always kept labs and springers out doors untill one got nicked (he has to of each) he always siad it made them better in hard weather and made them keener to work for ya,now says its like have ing new dogs! they seem to know what he wants them to do before he asks,they work harder for him than ever before and he can see if they are off colour easier when they are laying about in front of the fire.

he still crates them at night but only in the front room so he can still hear any warnings and sleeps better knowing no cnut can get them. he says they are no different in hard weather and the coat is as good as ever.

i think it depends on how hot your house is maybe/ if you have central heating and have it turned up to tropical then maybe there coats will take longer to change to winter but if they still go out every day as the should i doubt it will make much real difference.

scotty

Guest DogFaceKillah

my dogs are mainly outside well most of the day, o brong them in after there fed so leep indoors, but if ive been lamping and they retrieve a fox, they fecking stick so they stay outside! intill i can be arsed hosing them down!

best answer so far dbritt, i think you should have a line working dog or pet! in house it becomes more of a pet, in kennels working dog. that way they cant get spoilt. gotta have a line :yes:

im lookin to get a dog and mine will be kept outside because i have a boxer as well which is spoilt rotten by the missis and me i supose lol he is the pet the other dog is the worker

perfect example, spot on dso88 :clapper:

i think they tend feel the cold a bit more in winter when they live inside.

the only other thing is that you dont get as attached to your

dogs when they are not with you all the time and living outside

god forbid anything ever happend to them.

lofti.

My lurchers live in the house, though can be kennelled when in season or for whatever reason. The young stock are kenneled when I'm not about so they don't destroy the house LOL

But we don't have central heating and have a dog flap which is just a hole in the back door with a piece of carpet tacked over it so central heating would be a bit of a waste of money! :D

Terriers live out, though the bitches do come in when I'm at home to keep an eye on them: don't mix terriers and lurchers in general except when they're working: terriers tend to get a bit above themselves if they are given privileges like sitting on the sofa.

Like someone already said: when a dog lives with you 24/7 it can read your mind/body language, plus when it comes to training you don't have to go through 20 minutes madness when they first come out of the kennel. I find them far more responsive by being with me most of the time and training happens naturally along the way rather than having to go out and make a particular effort to say, teach a pup to sit or retrieve: One of mine will bring me my boots when I ask her to: she knows that means she'll be going out soon!

There's loads of little reasons I like to keep them in the house, not least because when your'e with them a lot you can tell instantly if there is a problem like illness. Things like muscle injuries are also spotted earlier, especially if the dog is lying on the sofa next to you. you touch a sort spot by chance, the dog winces, so then you massage it.

Final reason is security, though it would take a brave man to try and get into our house what with the Airedale as well as the others.

I think its each to their own to be honest but my mate got a dog that had been kennelled for a year it was quite a decent dog when he got it, after 3 month in the house he started taking it out on the lamp and it would stand and shiver make crying noises etc not saying all dogs will do this by any means just what i have seen myself, would rather lie on the sofa now than chase any rabbit haha.

Edited by SWIN17