hi all

i have a bull greyhound x bedlinton whippet it is 9 month old terning out to me a very good dog but it got its 1st rabbit on the lamp last nite but it pict it up and ran awey from me and then startid to eat it i have bin lernin it to retreve with a ball and trets and it duz it very good so i do not understand and is not very keen on jumping

plz help :wallbash:

hi all

i have a bull greyhound x bedlinton whippet it is 9 month old terning out to me a very good dog but it got its 1st rabbit on the lamp last nite but it pict it up and ran awey from me and then startid to eat it i have bin lernin it to retreve with a ball and trets and it duz it very good so i do not understand and is not very keen on jumping

He is quite young to be out on his own?

Any chance of a lead from some experienced hounds?

Don't forget the difference between prey and toys...instinct wins out

maybe your dog was hungry mate,did you feed him that day?

you cant not feed pups all day, before you go out like with adult dogs

they are growing and they need they grub.

dont worry to much about him jumping he will do it when hes ready.

try moving on to retriving dummies,and loose the treats with

loads of praise.

hope this helps

keep us posted.

lofti.

let him eat it .....hes a young dog and will grow out of it,,,,,it a natural instinct.....i had one that just ate the bunnies ears :icon_eek: ,,,,,like i say he will grow out of it as he matures .....it deffo not unusall...it got nothing to do with him being hungry...and same for the jumping it will come...not all dogs are good natural jumpers ..steady away mate,,,,dont exspect miricals from a 9 month old pup......and defernitly dont feed him before you go out ,,,,,that will cause you some probs.....

Edited by snoopdog
spot on mate i did not fink of it like that i will try giving him sum food a bit [bANNED TEXT] we set of out

DO NOT FEED THE DOG BEFORE GOING OUT.This is a recipe for disaster you are inviting the dog to get a twisted gut ,[torsion] which is extremely painful and life threatening.Get the dog retreiving a fur dummy consistantly before taking it lamping.As to jumping I start with little jumps ,about 2 foot and gradually up the height, a narrow space helps where the dog is obliged to scale the obstacle to get to the other end.,The same principal works in retreiving ,a passage way or hallway is good throw the dummy and stand back to the door the dog must come back to you ,if it is still sticky about it ,attach a line to the dummy ,but avoid tug of wars with the dog ,and pack up as soon as the dog gets bored.

Good Luck.

Are you turning the lamp off as soon as the dog makes its catch?

If not, turn it off for a few seconds and give a faint call. The dog will wonder what the hell is going on and seek you out for reassurance. After a few seconds, flick the lamp on at your feet for a second then off again - the dog will come in, more concerned about finding you than the rabbit in it's mouth.

This will also teach your dog that as soon as the lamp is off it's back to you!

Don't forget the praise when it's back to you (rabbit or no rabbit) and never get into the 'tug of war' or 'chase me round the field' game :no:

The dogs only young; it's best to mess up a nights lamping and do well by the dog than bag an extra bunny and cause problems later on ;)

Good luck with it.

Crow

Are you turning the lamp off as soon as the dog makes its catch?

If not, turn it off for a few seconds and give a faint call. The dog will wonder what the hell is going on and seek you out for reassurance. After a few seconds, flick the lamp on at your feet for a second then off again - the dog will come in, more concerned about finding you than the rabbit in it's mouth.

This will also teach your dog that as soon as the lamp is off it's back to you!

Don't forget the praise when it's back to you (rabbit or no rabbit) and never get into the 'tug of war' or 'chase me round the field' game :no:

The dogs only young; it's best to mess up a nights lamping and do well by the dog than bag an extra bunny and cause problems later on ;)

Good luck with it.

GOOD ADVICE THAT MR CROW

hi all

Make a small barrier accross his kennel door eg a couple of planks of wood on top of each other,which he can easily jump over to get out,then raise the height every few days.He`ll very quickly learn to jump and will do fences in no time.

My bull cross bitch did it the once she ran off with her 1st caught bunny of the night and started eating it but touch wood she never really did it since, i have known of young inexsperienced dogs that will do this some times but i dont think theres any real answer for it myself. I youst to run an old dog for a bloke who youst to live by me when i was a kid he brought it when it was old id say it was about 9 the dog was called chester 3/8 5/8 fawn bull cross it had no ears and about 5 teeth in his head he was great dog on fox the minute you put him on a bunny you had no chance hed eat it every time the poor old git dunno why he did it must of been some thing he had done since a pup.

Edited by Penda