plummer Terriers

i had a crackig dog about 20 years ago,a vandal bred dog.he went to everything and stayed till dug.he was out regular when he was nt smashed up.a very game dog but no brains.that was before the messers got hold of them.no offence to people who work there dogs.i know it was a long time ago but thought i d share my thoughts.hope they are still worked by some.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it seems to me that if a good percentage of plummer type terriers came from forsyth's pip and breeding tight to those lines produced reasonable earthdogs. then it is possible to do the same again if y

Posted Images

Thanks for all replies so far. The way i think of them is a bit of a gimmick breed, but never having come across one, i'm only going on what i read.

I suppose the strain is bound to throw up the odd game one. Plummers original stock, that were in the books, looked nice sorts, anyone know where they came from originaly. (honestly lol)

Thanks for all replies so far. The way i think of them is a bit of a gimmick breed, but never having come across one, i'm only going on what i read.

I suppose the strain is bound to throw up the odd game one. Plummers original stock, that were in the books, looked nice sorts, anyone know where they came from originaly. (honestly lol)

Yes i know a lot about the original stuff he brought from Wales,and what happened to them,ive owned some of that bloodline,unfortunatly i cant tell the story,because i dont want to offend a mate,but far better dogs were produced by my mate than plummer,using the original dogs, San's litter brother Hellion to be precise.

Take a large pot and throw in a Jack Russell,a Beagle,a Nuttal Patterdale,a touch of bull to taste.Simmer gently for 10 years,stir occasionally.Then add more of whatever you like to taste again.

Bon Appebullshtii'tte

That's the original recipie as I read it somewhere.

:clapper: Did'nt "Fireman" off this site dig to them?

Yes i know a lot about the original stuff he brought from Wales,and what happened to them,ive owned some of that bloodline,unfortunatly i cant tell the story,because i dont want to offend a mate,but far better dogs were produced by my mate than plummer,using the original dogs, San's litter brother Hellion to be precise.

I would love to hear more about that, but if you cant say, then thats fair enough pal.

Trust them to come from wales eh, the taffies breed some good stuff for sure.

just read that back and it sounds like im taking the piss but im not

Edited by foxfan

foxfan

I would like to tell the story,its perfectly true and involves some of the best terrier men this country has produced,as far as i know the strain has gone now,or its that diluted you couldnt say they had much influence on the dogs its still in.

I could tell you about some ins and outs of things but not be to specific,if you are interested?

Guest oldskool
Take a large pot and throw in a Jack Russell,a Beagle,a Nuttal Patterdale,a touch of bull to taste.Simmer gently for 10 years,stir occasionally.Then add more of whatever you like to taste again.

Bon Appebullshtii'tte

:clapper: Did'nt "Fireman" off this site dig to them?

you got there before me... i was shocked when he put them up because the ones that boasted they had digging plummers always just posted pics of a dog with his head in a hole and maybe even the lead still on lol.... and then hide behind the excuse that they didnt want to show smashed up dogs lol...

foxfan

I would like to tell the story,its perfectly true and involves some of the best terrier men this country has produced,as far as i know the strain has gone now,or its that diluted you couldnt say they had much influence on the dogs its still in.

I could tell you about some ins and outs of things but not be to specific,if you are interested?

Did'nt reply last night cos i went to bed (ran out of cider, lol)

Always interested to hear about terrier history, not interested if it involves slagging people though.

Not saying that you would do that pal.

anyone know where they came from originaly. (honestly lol)

Bon Appebullshtii'tte

you mean jack russel, beagle, fellterrier and bull terrier.

Nope

The Beagle used in the 60 s was out of the Russet show-bred strain and came from some USA imports owned by Philip Ainstay, a fellow teacher friend of Brian's, brought to the UK to tidy up British exhibits. Further outcrosses were introduced. The addition of Fell terrier blood, Jaeger from Nigel Hinchcliffe's lines and Flint from Brian Nuttal's lines, both noted working lines, and most likely desceding from Cyril Brea's stock. Infused refinement of shape and to a certain extent contributed to fixing type, Pagan, a black and tan terrier is acknowledged as one of the early pillars of the breed. Further additions included a Jack Russell terrier known as Eric Forsyth's Pip, Alan Thomas's Hamish and pip from the Chiddingfold and Leconfield foxhound kennels. Unknown bull terrier blood was added to improve the head and strength of jaw and to improve general toughness/ durability in the field. Brian later admitted to the PTA that this was his biggest mistake as fighters were rife amongst his stock. The addition did little to improve heads etc and unfortunately brought about undesirable traits such as patella luxation and rose ears.

It must be noted that performance as an earth dog was and is an expected prerequisite of most if not all terrier breeds and Plummers are no exception to this rule. At this point it has to be said that two distinct types began to develop, thesmaller more snipey nosed form and the more bully stronger headed type. At this point Brian opted for the latter, but it is now acknowledged that in the long term it did the breed no favours. Further out crossing to bull blood lines was stopped and due to several years of painstaking discipline regarding choice preferable blood lines a distinct and recognisable type was finally secured.