what age

just need a bit of advice as im a bit rusty on this subject.im at present training a saluki/whippet greyhound x collie /greyhound pup.ive got his recall spot on,he sits on command,walks to heel.the only thing im having trouble with is getting him to retreive.the dog is only fourteen weeks old so im not expecting miracles from him yet.he will chase his favourite toy once thrown for him but he runs away from me after picking it up.i have read plummers book about how to get the pup retreiving,gave it a shot but it hasnt worked.the dog seems to think im playing with him,which is a good thing.but he drops his toy away from where i am and just jumps all over me :D .should i leave this part of the training for a few more weeks and restart again with him or should i keep trying with him.i trained my old collie whippet myself and she took to it like a duck to water but that was thirteen year ago and i cant remember what age she was when i started her.any help would be much appreciated.

cheers in advance

col :thumbs:

sounds like you know what your doing anyway mate, it only takes one time for the pup to retrive the toy and make a real fuss i`me sure the penny will drop,

I`de be really calm when doing other things, and make a real fuss when the pup finaly does bring the toy back,,

Mars..

ive tried him in a passage way in the house ,he will bring a ball/toy to me but wont let go.if i reward him he drops the said toy away from where i am and thinks he will get a reward but he doesnt,thats how i was thinking of trying with him again in a few weeks once he has a little more age on him :thumbs:

theres a few of ways to get your pup retrieving. you could let it watch another dog play retrieving games, put a toy on a piece of sting and get pup to chase it then throw toy. my favourite way is to roll a tennis ball along ground fast and let pup catch it.

i like to get pup retrieving early, my pup is 16 weeks now and been retrieving since it was 5 weeks old. she can retrieve over a pig net fence already with ease.

try to keep calm as the pup will sense any tension in you which will make matters worse.kneel down and turn your back on the pup when he comes trotting in with his toy,this will spark his curiosity.dont stare directly at him as this can sometimes get them going the other way,not good.when the pup comes in,dont snatch the toy off him,just put your hand under his chest and give him praise.if he thinks your going to nick his toy straight away he wont be happy :angry: .just keep things nice calm and keep at it.he sounds like he's carrying well so your half way there pal.

theres a few of ways to get your pup retrieving. you could let it watch another dog play retrieving games, put a toy on a piece of sting and get pup to chase it then throw toy. my favourite way is to roll a tennis ball along ground fast and let pup catch it.

i like to get pup retrieving early, my pup is 16 weeks now and been retrieving since it was 5 weeks old. she can retrieve over a pig net fence already with ease.

the pup will chase a ball/toy along the ground no bother.he just gets it into his head that it is better to bugger off in the opposite direction and make his own fun.he watches my old dog bring the ball/toy back to hand but tries to grab the ball /toy out of her mouth as she is doing this which is also something i need to get him out of.i didnt get the pup til he was 8 weeks old.i prefer to have them at about 6 weeks and get them started straight away.i will keep on with the training.i wont let it beat me and hopefully get the dog to realise that

the pup will chase a ball/toy along the ground no bother.he just gets it into his head that it is better to bugger off in the opposite direction and make his own fun.he watches my old dog bring the ball/toy back to hand but tries to grab the ball /toy out of her mouth as she is doing this which is also something i need to get him out of.i didnt get the pup til he was 8 weeks old.i prefer to have them at about 6 weeks and get them started straight away.i will keep on with the training.i wont let it beat me and hopefully get the dog to realise that

has he ever brought the toy back properly for you without the running around ect...

has he ever brought the toy back properly for you without the running around ect...

one one occasion he did but wouldnt leave go of it.he got loads of praise for doing it.other than that i can honestly say no

i have the same problem with my pup.Started the retrieval training at ten week old in the house, after a few goes with a dummy she picked it up and bought it back to hand, now i've started to do it in the garden and she just runs around with it and then drops it about 2ft away from me.

Don't know whats happened but i just keep trying, hopefully the penny will drop soon.

dont know if this will help but, i had massive problems getting my pup to retrieve literally tried everything thing for months. she could pic up and carry and run around with here dummy/toys but would never bring it back, in the field she would just kill rabbits and stand over them, when called in she would leave them were she killed them. i took her out with a great live to hand retieve collie x and still nothing. the only thing that made her twig was that once she caught her rabbit and was standing over it protecting her kill, my mate slipped another dog who wanted to pic her kill up. as soon as the second dog approched her and the rabbit she picked it up and come towards us with it, all that was required then was to walk away from her until she was along side us, take the bunny of her and give loads of praise.

have never heard of this method and only came across it by chance as my mate was being a twat with an older dog slipping her all the time, i know it is a hit or miss method just wondering if any body else has used it or is going to and see how it goes. all the best with the pup mate hope she does what you ask of her.

patience my friend the pup is still a babe and is doing a lot of good things concentrate on the positives let the pup enjoy its play and it will all come together eventually i didnt get all this grey hair because pups did things right first time