hi all , is the rodenator any good on moles. i also seen some called the burrow buster and the verminator.anyone on here use this kit

or would traps be better. any advice would be good advice.

thanks.

To be honest Logun, you would do well to search for the topics concerning this piece of 'equipment'. They will tell you all you need to know.

H

thanks holdaway.not sure how to search to be honest.have seen some on youtube gut them yanks are way over the top for me.

just looking for an honest opinion from anyone on here who have or have used one.but thanks again .

Apart from anything else, their use to kill any animal is illegal, they are approved only for collapsing empty systems.

James

hi james ,so in realterms i got to get the mole first then ???.to stay withing the law.

ok thanks,i think someone has been telling me porkys. thank you.

doing a search, top left of the hunting life screen, you'll see that second from the right says "search" click on that, then type in what you want to search for in the pop up box, it'll bring up every post thats got that word in it...

but yes, totally illegal to use on pest species, only as a burrow collapser, and as theres no way of proving that a burrow is empty of ANY SPECIES OF ANIMAL, your screwed if you use it

As you can see Logun, no one here is a fan of this thing. I didn't mean to be rude with my first reply, I thought it would just be better for you to read some previous comments. ;)

To be honest, most of us think this thing is used by amateurs more than pro's, and those people have no consideration for the welfare of the animal. You MUST ensure that the tunnel system is clear first and how do you do that? There is no way to ensure this 100%.

Also, beacuse you need to clear the run, then you must trap the moles, rats, rabbits, foxes, voles,...etc first, seems like double the work mate. :(

If you are trapping moles for a living, then why kill the golden goose by destroying the runs? You need a return to ensure you earn your living. If it is a matter of safety due to collapsing ground, then a special permit may be granted (maybe??) then again thats also a lot of aggro.

Steer clear mate and just keep trapping. ;):drinks:

H

I'm actually participating in a study starting Monday done by the University of California comparing trapping to Rodenator to baiting to fumigation with phostoxin for pocket gopher control. There should be some good information on how effective the Rodenator is as a result of this study. I'll try and take some pictures or video in the next couple of days. Of course, I'm doing the trapping component of the study. Should be fun.

I can't imagine that the rodenator would be effective on moles, as their tunnels are too long and narrow for a blast to penetrate. If you happened to fire it off right next to the mole, maybe it would work, but that seems unlikely given how far moles travel.

• 2 months later...
I'm actually participating in a study starting Monday done by the University of California comparing trapping to Rodenator to baiting to fumigation with phostoxin for pocket gopher control. There should be some good information on how effective the Rodenator is as a result of this study. I'll try and take some pictures or video in the next couple of days. Of course, I'm doing the trapping component of the study. Should be fun.

I can't imagine that the rodenator would be effective on moles, as their tunnels are too long and narrow for a blast to penetrate. If you happened to fire it off right next to the mole, maybe it would work, but that seems unlikely given how far moles travel.

I've got a great idea you can use to show the effectiveness of a rodenator.

Bury half a dozen rodenator operators in a warren and blow it up!

Now count how many make it out alive, scorched, or just badly damaged.

I can't honestly see what the problem is with the rodenator?

Of course it needs to be used correctly, and yes some idiots will make a right balls up of things, but thats not enough to ban this equipment or not use them, If that was the case, the antis would win hands down on ever aspect of fieldsports

As long as the person has done his/her best to ensure the burrows are empty, whats the problem. Ok the odd rabbit may lose out, very unfortunet, but no one can say any other way is better. Ferreting, shooting,trapping, and hunting all have their issues, none of then are perfect

Personally i haven't got a problem with the rodenator, as long as its done correctly, its not my cup of tea and i won't be running out to get one, but if someone wants to have a go let then get on with it.

regards

smoggy

I can't honestly see what the problem is with the rodenator?

Of course it needs to be used correctly, and yes some idiots will make a right balls up of things, but thats not enough to ban this equipment or not use them, If that was the case, the antis would win hands down on ever aspect of fieldsports

As long as the person has done his/her best to ensure the burrows are empty, whats the problem. Ok the odd rabbit may lose out, very unfortunet, but no one can say any other way is better. Ferreting, shooting,trapping, and hunting all have their issues, none of then are perfect

Personally i haven't got a problem with the rodenator, as long as its done correctly, its not my cup of tea and i won't be running out to get one, but if someone wants to have a go let then get on with it.

regards

smoggy

So you consider using a burrow blaster a fieldsport do you?

They have been invented as a method of controlling certain ground dwelling mammals in the US. Their use over here is unnecessary, and inhumane. I'm still trying to work out the advantage in collapsing an 'empty' burrow at all.

Using explosive devices to kill animals was outlawed in Britain in 1981. Personally, I consider the use of these things to be the same as throwing hand grenades into a trout stream.

I have a huge problem with farmers in particular, going out and spending (wasting) money on these things to kill moles and rabbits when there are cheaper, more effective, and more humane methods available.

One of the saddest aspects of this is that there are genuine people out there who would control certain agricultural pests free of charge - but lots of farmers would rather spend two grand on something they consider to be a bit (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) 'special'.

So you consider using a burrow blaster a fieldsport do you?

They have been invented as a method of controlling certain ground dwelling mammals in the US. Their use over here is unnecessary, and inhumane. I'm still trying to work out the advantage in collapsing an 'empty' burrow at all.

Using explosive devices to kill animals was outlawed in Britain in 1981. Personally, I consider the use of these things to be the same as throwing hand grenades into a trout stream.

I have a huge problem with farmers in particular, going out and spending (wasting) money on these things to kill moles and rabbits when there are cheaper, more effective, and more humane methods available.

One of the saddest aspects of this is that there are genuine people out there who would control certain agricultural pests free of charge - but lots of farmers would rather spend two grand on something they consider to be a bit (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) 'special'.

Good point, I don't consider it a fieldsport, my mistake.

But you haven't read my post correctly, I said IF USED PROPERLY, there not for killing animals. because some people don't use them properly doesn't mean you should ban then, does it? some people use lurchers for hare coursing still, that illilgal but no one want to see them banned?

As i said in the original post they aren't my cup of tea and i won't be using one, but i can see the advantage off been able to close down a warren for a lot longer time than nornal.

i think they have "a time and place" in the name of pest control

regards

smoggy

Guest MickyB

Smoggy, i know a few people with these devices, and know 'of' many more.,... and all i can say is that every last one of them uses them with the full intention of killing ground dwelling vermin.....

Ive never heard of a farmer that wants a 'vacant tunnel destroying service', have you????

Come on lads, these things are being abused to the max, for money and for quick fix pest control.

And to say its no more in-humane than ferreting is just crazy.... being first burnt then slowly suffocated is not humane in my opinion, and like is often the case, badly burned rabbits that have managed to find an air supply will emerge like crusty, bleeding zombies, unable to run or feed properly, and left to die from a lingering death.