Terriers for ferreting

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A complete pain in the arse!

On there own, a good one will leave no stone left unturned, and find every rabbit anywhere, on any ground, but on the downside, will kick off with other dogs and will try you patience for years and years!

On there own, a good one will leave no stone left unturned, and find every rabbit anywhere, on any ground, but on the downside, will kick off with other dogs and will try you patience for years and years!

i beg to differ, ive got a 3 year old Patterdale dog that works very well with my ferrets, marks up works te bury off the lead, and doesnt fight with any other dog working. :whistling:

i beg to differ, ive got a 3 year old Patterdale dog that works very well with my ferrets, marks up works te bury off the lead, and doesnt fight with any other dog working. :whistling:

Must admit, don't let my own experience of a large over- violent russel dog sway your judgement in any way, shape or form. (he's a pig full stop, but a thorough pig at that!)

A well said terrier is priceless for marking, but thats where it ends. Average lurchers bring more to the table to be honest, and thats from somebody who loves the ability of a terrier.

i used to work a border terrier with my warren dog.he used to mark really well but was hard mouthed and was a c*nt to get rabbits off.he also used to have a go at the other dog out of jealousy when the lurcher got rabbits.you might be better off getting a small lurcher mate

Must admit, don't let my own experience of a large over- violent russel dog sway your judgement in any way, shape or form. (he's a pig full stop, but a thorough pig at that!)

A well said terrier is priceless for marking, but thats where it ends. Average lurchers bring more to the table to be honest, and thats from somebody who loves the ability of a terrier.

totally agree, i would chose a lurcher everytime for ferreting, but i like to have a few strings to each one of my dogs bows..

my lurchers a fishing companion :icon_redface:

as well as a competant picking up dog :whistling:

my terrier is also a useful beating and rough shooting dog... :tongue2:

well lads i use 1 jack russel and a little patterdale bich for ferreting and they mark every hole for me and theres not many rabbits that get off the ditch with them and im also training a jack russel pup for ferreting none of these dogs fight with each other or any other dog

post-26187-1237846871.jpg

post-26187-1237846892.jpg

ATB

FH

We use 'em, no bother. If you get them from pups they'll work well with ferrets. The one problem I've got with mine, is that she'll bugger off down a rabbit hole if it's big enough, on account of her being so small! :laugh: If she does though, I can be sure that there's a rabbit at home.

We've got 3 small JRT terriers between us, and they work well together & with the ferrets. They've known each other since they were pups though.

HPIM0885-1.jpg

HPIM0878.jpg

HPIM0840.jpg

DSCN0344.jpg

Hi, I have been offered a JRT pup and was wondering if would be any good as a ferreting partner, I know he would be good for marking, but can they do much else? Im new to dogs as you can tell, But Im really keen to learn!

i use 2 lakeland terriers now when they approach a hole and they start to dig or give a little yelp i know for a fact that there is rabbit in there so in go the ferrets if they dont then they dont go in simple as. well recomended cheers mike.

am also after a dog, Im caught between Lurcher and terrier, I definitely cant have the two! I like the handiness of a small terrier and the the fact the he might be handy for rough shooting as well, But I long to see a lurcher belting after a rabbit my ferrets bolted...............Decisions, decisions.... :wallbash:

Edited by Fat-Ferret

I use a wee jrt 10", and she is a handy dog. Marks, is great with ferrets, will hold rabbits in net ( as best she can ) , if somethings going on below ground she will react in the same spot above ground. Although if things are slow she will bugger off on her own or go and kip in the net bag. Really handy in hedgerow buries. May have to stop her though as she has started going down holes, give her a chance on other things and if she don't take, keep her too ferrets and bushing. Been training my other bushing dog up for ferreting, Terrierxspaniel, good nose, steady, but no speed.

Longer legged terriers I think will be handy, beddies or if I had a chance for another dog a beddy whippet. Lurchers and terriers both have their places in ferreting, just what will suit yourself best.