.223 1:12 twist rate

I put a deposit on a .223 cz exclusive today,it has a twist rate of 1:12,it will be used for lamping foxes mainly,was just wondering what ammo would be best suited for this particular twist rate,light,medium or heavy load,as ageneral rule do you choose the slowest twist rate for the heaviest bullet you are going to shoot,or would most factory ammo shoot ok through it

if its for foxing mate try 55 grain ballistic tips off which there are a good few available in factory loads. charlie doesnt like them much :whistling: and they are reasonably flat out to 250 yds. as for twist rates you would need a faster twist barrel something like a 1:9 to stabilise the heavier 223 heads but unless you are shooting at extended ranges there should be no need to use these for foxes as 55's are perfectly reliable. hope this helps.

atb alan.

40 grain to 55 will be the best for your rifle. i no the steyr ssg 22/250 has a 1 in 12 twist and can shoot bullets to 60 grain. but i guess the extra powder and speed of the 22/250 in a 1 in 12 will more then likely help this. that mite not be the case with 223 with 1 in 12.

still never mind in my eyes the point of a foxing round is to have it fast and flat so 40 to a 55 grain will be perfect.

i would tr 50's in it :gunsmilie:

Though this might be of use .......

Twist Rates

The .223 Rem shoots a wide range of bullets very effectively, from 35gr flat-based varmint bullets, to ultra-long 90gr VLDs. However, you'll need the right twist rate for your choice of bullet. For max velocity and accuracy with the lightest bullets, a 1:14" twist may be ideal. More versatile is a 1:12" twist that will allow you to shoot the popular 60-64 grain match bullets. (However, a 1:9" twist is needed for the steel-core 62gr bullet used in the M855 military loads, because that bullet is as long as most 70-grainers.) For normal lead-core jacketed bullets, a 1:9" twist will let you shoot up to 73gr bullets. Since most .223 Rem shooters prefer bullets in the 50-73gr range, a good "do-it-all" solution is a 9-twist, unless you're a Highpower competitor.

For long-range match purposes, long, high-BC bullets are favored for their ability to buck the wind. You'll want at least a 1:8" twist to shoot the 77gr and 80gr MatchKings and 80gr Bergers. To shoot the new 90gr pills, a 1:6.5" is recommended, though a true 1:7" will work in most conditions.

Overall, what twist rate is best? For varminting we like a 12-twist. The slower twist will give you a bit more velocity, and minimize the risk of jacket failure at high rpms. For general use, an 8-twist barrel will let you shoot the excellent 77gr and 80gr Sierra MatchKings and nearly all varieties of non-tracer milsurp ammo. We'd only select a 1:7" or faster twist barrel if we had a need to shoot the 90gr VLDs.

Barrel Twist Rate 1:14" 1:12" 1:9" 1:8" 1:7" or 1:6.5"

Max Bullet Weight 55gr FB 65gr FB 73gr BT 80gr BT 90gr BT VLD

40-60grn stuff will shoot best. If you plan to reload it try this...

52grn A-Max, 25grn Benchmark, lapua case, 2.200 OAL. Not the fastest load in the world, but safe in any rifle and accurate as hell in most :yes:

EDIT.. It destroys Foxes and you can mail order the bullets as they are classed as non expanding. Can't figure out the expansion bit as the hole in the Fox shows that they do!

Edited by njc110381
Twist rates are one thing and we can all do the research and maths, BUT for some strange reason some guns/barrels favour some manufacturers bullets and hate others.. :hmm::hmm:

i guess that5s down to different chambers and stuff deker ;)

Twist rates are one thing and we can all do the research and maths, BUT for some strange reason some guns/barrels favour some manufacturers bullets and hate others.. :hmm::hmm:

It's down to slightly differing twist rates in the manufacturing process, and the fact that no two barrels are the same, harmonically, and also differing stresses on differing parts of the barrel's,

So this is why even two rifles from the same company, same model, same twist, shoot differently at times, So each rifle will have varying effects,

;)

It's down to slightly differing twist rates in the manufacturing process, and the fact that no two barrels are the same, harmonically, and also differing stresses on differing parts of the barrel's,

So this is why even two rifles from the same company, same model, same twist, shoot differently at times, So each rifle will have varying effects,

;)

Never seen "STUFF" defined so eloquently!!! :thumbs::thumbs: