Anyone From Australia

Went over last year and my wife has been offered jobs in NSW and WA, we have been discussing it and think we will probably go but she is 7 months pregnant at the moment so it will probably be another year. i'll be taking three dogs and the amounts of money being mentioned for shipping them is giving me a funny turn :o

Stabs what are you doing with your other dogs? am I right in thinking you're off to Queensland?

Cheers

Simoman :good:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozhound

Your lurcher sounds an interesting cross, must have been a bit of a task for the JR. Thanks for your offer to send me a dog over, i'll keep you informed of my progress, i'll also work on my mate to get into working dogs he seemed pretty interested last time i brought up the subject. My friend is from Morwell Victoria, he moved over to Perth to be closer to his fiances family, top bloke we became friends working together in London. On my last visit i liked the look of those Kelpies, sharp looking and not too heavy built could be a good cross with a greyhound for smaller stuff.

Bullcat

Where abouts you living there mate, is it easy to get permission to hunt?

Stabs

Another making the move, should'nt be surprised, nearly every building site i visit there is at least one guy going for his migration visa, pleased i brought up this topic.

Good luck with your move mate

Simoman

Thats going to cost you some big money mate but worth it in the long run, great place to raise the little one.

Hi Shepp,

My wife used to live in Oz (Sydney mainly) and always told me i'd love the open spaces and wildlife and she was right. We went for three weeks last year, we spent the first half in Western Australia (Freemantle, Perth, Rockingham and the Margaret River), we visited the Pinnacles desert and Stirling ranges before flying to New South Wales and took a camper van north to Coffs Harbour area. Absoloutley loved it and you're right about it being a great place to raise kids, my 3 year old loved it, parks, BBQ areas and pools everywhere. It took a while to get used to seeing parrots in the town centres, roo's in the parks and dolphins in the rivers but it's something I think I could get used to :D Better get saving to take the dogs though :icon_eek:

The good thing is that it's my wife who is in demand so she can work whilst I become a house husband :whistle: Should find some thing to do with my days.........always wanted a Bull/Greyhound........ :D:tongue2:

Hi Shepp,

My wife used to live in Oz (Sydney mainly) and always told me i'd love the open spaces and wildlife and she was right. We went for three weeks last year, we spent the first half in Western Australia (Freemantle, Perth, Rockingham and the Margaret River), we visited the Pinnacles desert and Stirling ranges before flying to New South Wales and took a camper van north to Coffs Harbour area. Absoloutley loved it and you're right about it being a great place to raise kids, my 3 year old loved it, parks, BBQ areas and pools everywhere. It took a while to get used to seeing parrots in the town centres, roo's in the parks and dolphins in the rivers but it's something I think I could get used to :D Better get saving to take the dogs though :icon_eek:

The good thing is that it's my wife who is in demand so she can work whilst I become a house husband :whistle: Should find some thing to do with my days.........always wanted a Bull/Greyhound........ :D:tongue2:

Hi Simoman, I was thinking about moving to Mandurah next town to Rockingham, looks like a good spot and with the money from my 2 bedroom flat i can but a canal side house, can't be bad!

My visit at the begining of last year i flew into Adelaide drove across the Nullarbour and worked my way around the bottom of WA up past Perth as far as Exmouth and back down to Perth again.

Did it in a little Nissan which did the whole journey without a hitch,took me 2 months in total, did'nt rush.

Yes some things take some getting used to, i remember driving through some green fields down the bottom of WA with grazing cows forgetting i was on the other side of the earth, then i see a group of emus amongst them.

A bull/greyhound could be pretty useful i see one running at a country show a few weeks ago, i could'nt believe such a big built dog could move so fast, also when the dog it was racing started raring up at it after the race it completely ignored it and trotted back to it's owner, not scared just sure of itself and above it. It was well scarred around the muzzle so must of taken a few foxes.

Good Hunting

Yeah Shepp, sometimes you forget how different it is, called in at a rural shop in Margaret river and was chatting to the owner and I asked if she ever saw snakes around her property. She then told me she rarely saw any when they had dogs but since they died they had tiger snakes breeding under the patio and brown snakes in the garden :icon_eek:

Guest ozhound

Pretty good den work to be had in Gippsland which is where Morwell is. Alot of guys with some good little running dogs down there, theres bloody heaps of foxes there. It isnt hard to catch 100+ foxes a year in that country with good dogs and up to 200 is possible if your doing it. Alot of guys drive to guns with hounds and terriers down there too. Dont thnik there s heaps of hares there but they are there for sure. Work would be the killer in that area, there aint much of it.

As for the JRxG/Hound it was what we call a parsons JR, I dont know if you guys call em that too. They are about 16" and sometimes a bit bigger. They bred a heap of them and they were pretty handy rabbit, hare and even fox dogs over dens. That bitch was probably the best of em all and she threw good pups too.

Hey Simoman what sort of dogs are you bringing? Be good if one of you lads were to bring a good patterdale over we're running short of outcrosses over here.

Ozhound

Your lurcher sounds an interesting cross, must have been a bit of a task for the JR. Thanks for your offer to send me a dog over, i'll keep you informed of my progress, i'll also work on my mate to get into working dogs he seemed pretty interested last time i brought up the subject. My friend is from Morwell Victoria, he moved over to Perth to be closer to his fiances family, top bloke we became friends working together in London. On my last visit i liked the look of those Kelpies, sharp looking and not too heavy built could be a good cross with a greyhound for smaller stuff.

Bullcat

Where abouts you living there mate, is it easy to get permission to hunt?

Stabs

Another making the move, should'nt be surprised, nearly every building site i visit there is at least one guy going for his migration visa, pleased i brought up this topic.

Good luck with your move mate

Simoman

Thats going to cost you some big money mate but worth it in the long run, great place to raise the little one.

Hey Shepp, I`m in Central Victoria, between Ballarat and Bendigo. I think its real easy to get permission to hunt, as long as you dont live in a big city. Living out in the country, you get to know your neighbours who are usualy sheep farmers with huge amounts of land, that will appreciate a bit of fox control, and wouldnt mind you taking rabbits for your dogs. Unlike the UK, there`s no need to poach out here...

Stabs what are you doing with your other dogs? am I right in thinking you're off to Queensland?

The other dogs are staying here mate. I am trying to find homes for them right now. They are knocking on a bit now so their working lives are pretty much in the autumn years. My mate has done me a repeat mating of his excellent pig dog over his "Aussie White" :whistle: bitch so I'll have a dog to bring on when I get over there. Shame I can't take my Nell but I'm sure she'll find a nice place by someones fireside.

Yeah, I am moving to Queensland mate. My oppo lives there and so does my fiances family. It's pretty close to where I've hunted in the past too so I'll be right for the pigs.

Guest reload

Good luck with South of Perth, the margret river etc is real nice, never did much hunting down there, but had some real adventures ;)

You lads have the right idea getting out there, good luck to ye :good:

Guest markbrick1

were abouts in queensland mate i used to live on the gold coast 12 years there some nice hunting out west but i prefare new zealand hope u do well out there i was there 12 month ago buildings goin up every were and theres loads of work