unlucky mice

as we keep chickens, we knew we'd have either rats or mice, the dogs have caught a couple, and the chickens are good mouse catchers too, noticed them catching mice as they tried nicking chicken pellets in broad daylight, anyway, thought I'd get a few break back traps set under the shed, have caught 9 over the last three days, adults at first, and now noticing youngsters, the thing that noticable is I'm loading the bait holders up with peanut butter, which they are managing to lick out completely, before the trap stikes,

post-5267-1236426896.jpg

i find the beat way to catch rats without a sesetive pro victor trap, just cheap B&Q traps, is to put them with noi bait on them and not set. then put them in a rat runrat run and then after 3 days set the trap but dont bait it. the rats will be so used to running over the trap that the pressure of that will get them.

the thing that noticable is I'm loading the bait holders up with peanut butter, which they are managing to lick out completely, before the trap stikes,

i noticed the same when i was trapping mice in my back yard, i put it down to the other mice cleaning the bait out whilst the trap had gone off..

towards the end of the trapping the bait was left in the traps..

Just curious as to why you have chosen not to use poison as it is much less labour intensive and more effective in my eyes?

teaching granny to suck eggs :whistling:

if you read the first post, you'll see Im catching in the CHICKEN SHED, and that Ive noticed OUR CHICKENS catching and eating mice, so would'ent be a good idea to chance secondary poisoning with chickens eating poisoned mice would it

when carrying out pest control, you need to look at the whole picture, not just the quickest option :hmm:

Just curious as to why you have chosen not to use poison as it is much less labour intensive and more effective in my eyes?

it would be good to kill the chickens off too,you carnt put poisons down in this situation

the thing that noticable is I'm loading the bait holders up with peanut butter, which they are managing to lick out completely, before the trap stikes,

i noticed the same when i was trapping mice in my back yard, i put it down to the other mice cleaning the bait out whilst the trap had gone off..

towards the end of the trapping the bait was left in the traps..

why did'nt I think of that :doh:

here's this mornings catch

post-5267-1236501283.jpg

looking at the way the mouse is on the treadle plate, looks like it was moving off, after eating the bait, will see if I can file down the plastic hook later to make them more sensetive

is there any way to make them more sensitive?

I took a few apart to try adjusting, if you look at the photo, I tried sanding down the trigger at the front, its very hit and miss, and loosing only a fraction of a millimeter and they wont set, out of three adjusted, only one would work, Ive screwed this one onto the trap wood in the middle of the four normal ones, re baited and tucked under shed, were see in the morning

post-5267-1236514800.jpg

is there any way to make them more sensitive?

I took a few apart to try adjusting, if you look at the photo, I tried sanding down the trigger at the front, its very hit and miss, and loosing only a fraction of a millimeter and they wont set, out of three adjusted, only one would work, Ive screwed this one onto the trap wood in the middle of the four normal ones, re baited and tucked under shed, were see in the morning

post-5267-1236514800.jpg

steve, when i pull the bar back i push the block forward which is attached to the plate, makes it more sensitive...

Hi.

I used these traps when I had mice, and there brillient, I had a lot of fails with an old wooden style, but these gave 100% catch rate(I only had 3 mice, but every trap caught, no misses).

Very powerful traps and they are very sensative, I would highly recommend.

Also the bait had not been even slightly touched so it must of killed the second they whent near.

Although saying all this, I didn't have many mice.

Mine were blue where yours are yellow, maybe a newer model?