On our small little shoot, we have a few acres turned over into Cover Crop as most of us do.

Well I've been given the permission slip to put a small strip of cover crop on a piece of ground that links two pens. I'm thinking this could be a goldmine for birds, drawing them in from around the pens, and best of all, its fairly high up over the line.

Just one thing, the ground is absolutely soaking!

It is littered with springs and is constantly wet, even in Summer this place has a real job to dry out. You can't see it much on the surface but an inch down its very wet indeed.

Have any of you had particular success with a crop that likes to grow in wet soils? or can you suggest something to grow, I'm in a bit of a pickle about this :blink:

Thanks

SS :thumbs:

Might be a stupid idea but on one of the rough shoots I go on there's quite a lot of wet ground with reeds/grasses that the pheasants seem to love...also get a few woodcock in there in the colder months...not conventional cover :unsure: but it would always be there and would hold birds if fed...

Thanks for all the replies Chaps, and sorry for being so late getting back, certainly given me food for thought :yes:

Why not change the paperwork and dig a flightpond mate :) .

I have thought about that several times FD and it really is a perfect place for it :yes: But I've also asked several times and been told I cant :( Seems the only reason I'm being let grow crop there is so that he can graze it afterwards.

Alas :)