Earthdogs with Bull blood in them

Guest Countryboyo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been under the impression for some time that bull blooded terriers can lack in nose and finding ability as the staffordshire bull terrier was bred for other qualities that were more important to the breeder such as gameness hardness drive strenght of jaw and in general. Have any of the lads that have owned bull blooded terriers seen this.

i used to own a straight bull and he always seemed to be spot on with his scenting, 'he never got to ground, he was a monster!' he tracked very well, and marked up consistantly.

I've a Patt with bull ten gens back and she's like lighting when it comes to finding, and always spot on if she indicates a den is empty, it always is.

post-30866-1234400837_thumb.jpg

ive just got a russel with a tinge of bull in her (dont no exactly how much) shes 10 month an shes sticking her head in the holes an snifing about alot but she does seem imature alot of the time. im in no rush to enter her but have high hopes for when she makes her debut as shes game as hell to get the girlfriends cats.

When I was talking about finding nose I meant finding quarry underground. I know a few lads who have had some good dogs with staff in them and were slow to develop finding abity underground. Also some lines of staff do not travel well the best staff crosses I have seen have been staff russels I think this is because the russels usually have a good nose. I have my reservations about putting staff into earthdogs the reason most prominent is that they think they are a big dog in wee dogs body and usually get badly punished for it. The old breeders had the right idead of introducing a bit of staff and then breeding it out every so many generations thats what I have been told was done.

I've seen bull blooded dogs find and work well in big earths, I've also seen dogs with no bull in them do the same, I think it depends on the individual dog. The dog on the left has had a few good digs in big earths, finding and botting up until dug to...he's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but does the job I require him to do...

I have an Irish stafford bitch,just a year and whilst i shall not pretend she is the best thing that hit a whelping box she bushes quite well,has a good nose and marks well.

She now marks live warrens and will dig - bolting rabbits etc but is yet to see anything bigger

She is only a young dog- not one i intended for hunting of any description she just seems a natural.

Her size shall limit how useful she can be - although i hope in the future (next winter) to find out just what she is or isnt made of

She is taking fur and feather fairly regular of her own accord for fun so lets see.

English Bull Terrier x Jack Russell pups 9wks - excited about these pups. parents have a good look and are also very game. parents pictured and two of pups at 9wks. www.shamrockbullterriers.com

Nice Looking Pups, a lot of boys in Ireland bred working dogs like this but you dont hear of a lot bred this way now.

Voon.