Hello Lads and lasses

Can you point me in the wright direction with a 22 rifle

Iv been shooting for over 20 years now but only with shotguns and i think its time i sold a few of my shotguns and got myself a 22 to start with. Iv shot them on and off for a few years now (with mate ) and iv got more them enough land to shoot over so thats not a problem .

I will be posting off the forms for my fac next week do i have to list every bit of land i want to use it on ? as it could be asmany as 12 farms .

also what make of rifle should i be looking at ?im looking to spend about £400 to £500 on a compleat second hand set up to start with.

The rifle will be used mostly for rabbits .

I think iv covered all questions i need answers to

thanks

kev

12 or 100 farms....put them all down half trouble with firearmas is finding permission!!!

also to keep yersel safe if you list them all then you are legal to shoot the weapon on all 12 !!!!!

if you dont list them you technically may not be legal to use weapon on unlisted ones

make sure you put words to the effect of " and or any other obtained or invitational shooting grounds"

so you can get an "open"licence

as for money weapon....same as everything else spend more get more ...but

to be honest you can pick up for the money you are quoting a brand new CZ rifle and a really decent scope no prolems and it would be bang on!!!

i just got rid of an old bsa for a cz and cheap as chips and accurate as hell!!!

sauer

Hello Lads and lasses

Iv been shooting for over 20 years now but only with shotguns and i think its time i sold a few of my shotguns and got myself a 22 to start with. Iv shot them on and off for a few years now (with mate ) and iv got more them enough land to shoot over so thats not a problem .

I will be posting off the forms for my fac next week do i have to list every bit of land i want to use it on ? as it could be asmany as 12 farms .

also what make of rifle should i be looking at ?im looking to spend about £400 to £500 on a compleat second hand set up to start with.

thanks

kev

Kev

I'd give the .22 a miss and go for a .17hmr ....... its quicker, flatter, less prone to ricochet

Hello Lads and lasses

thanks

kev

Kev

I'd give the .22 a miss and go for a .17hmr ....... its quicker, flatter, less prone to ricochet

Thanks spanj thats been helpful

cz cheap as chips , 500 quid get you a new one with a scope + mod , last a lifetime . bolt action more reliable no cleaning (big plus) most popular bipod is a harris 9 - 13 swivel . have fun .

I will second that.Mine is a cz style,synthetic stock and nickel plated barrel,and cost about £320 new including a brookes trigger kit fitted,scope,silencer and some ammo.

gun.jpg

Hello Lads and lasses

thanks

kev

Hello Mate.

I have already said my piece on rifle choice and do not intend to get bickering with the folk who differ.

Much of it is a personal thing that you must overcome for yourself.

One very important thing though is APPLY FOR THE SOUND MODERATOR when you send your forms in.

You cannot purchase without authority and would need to apply all over again. :doh:

ATB-Bryan.

Hello Lads and lasses

thanks

kev

Hello Mate.

I have already said my piece on rifle choice and do not intend to get bickering with the folk who differ.

Much of it is a personal thing that you must overcome for yourself.

One very important thing though is APPLY FOR THE SOUND MODERATOR when you send your forms in.

You cannot purchase without authority and would need to apply all over again. :doh:

ATB-Bryan.

Thanks for that bit of advice :thumbs:

We all have our favourite makes in .22 (mine is an annie) But really your choice is between semi or bolt (I am a bolt fan - at least you know it will cycle each time) Generally speaking all the modern .22 rimfires are pretty good if you can feed it with the ammo it likes.

Try and buy new - .22 rimfires secondhand (unless you know the previous owner) can be a can of worms - they don't like being dropped out the window of a truck.

If you do think about a .17HMR think about it after you have your .22. The little rimfire will teach you fieldcraft with your rabbits. A friend of mine had a HMR and yes even that at 130 yards when the bullets slow will ricquochet, he had issues with the cost of ammo and the wind dictating whether he took it out or not. I have a .17 rem and even I have issues with the wind at distance.

Finally I very much doubt whether Avon & Som will grant an open ticket from the outset.

Peter

Hello Lads and lasses

thanks

kev

Kev

Seems spanj knows all your land inside out..he forgot to mention .17hmr makes a lot of noise whatever moderator you put on it and the ammo is 3 to 4 times the price of .22LR, power of 17g HMR around 245ft lb and .22LR 40g sub around around 100ft lb..tailor you gun to your land and quarry!!

I run .22LR, .17HMR, .22WMR in rimfire because I have a use for them ALL!!! :thumbs:

EDIT..as a matter of interest if I HAD to dump one..the HMR would be the first to go!!! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
Hello Lads and lasses

thanks

kev

Kev

Seems spanj knows all your land inside out..he forgot to mention .17hmr makes a lot of noise whatever moderator you put on it and the ammo is 3 to 4 times the price of .22LR, power of 17g HMR around 245ft lb and .22LR 40g sub around around 100ft lb..tailor you gun to your land and quarry!!

I run .22LR, .17HMR, .22WMR in rimfire because I have a use for them ALL!!! :thumbs:

EDIT..as a matter of interest if I HAD to dump one..the HMR would be the first to go!!! :thumbs:

get a 17 hmr trust me mate iv got one and its mint itz a cz shortend to 17inch wildcat moderator bipod and a big pair of scope 8x56 swaroski!! i also have a anshuntz 22 that is good for shooting rabbits but i prefere the 17hmr for the distance!!! the top one is the 17hmr the bottom one is the 22!

post-29530-1234125268.jpg

post-29530-1234125370.jpg